Hello from Phoenix

Couple changes since my last update.

2018:
  • Dynatrac XD60 front and D80 Rear, 5.38 gears, ARB Lockers
  • Adam's Driveline (1350 front, 1410 rear)
  • ARB twin under the seat
  • Genright Cage
  • Genright 20 Gallon rear gas tank (took out the OEM tank)
  • 40" Trail Grapplers
  • 17" KMC Beadlocks

2019:
  • 14" King Coilovers w/ Comp adjusters, AllGermanMotorsports sliders
  • 2" front, 4" rear King bumpstops
  • 3-link front / Triangulated 4-link rear suspension. Heat treated chromoly links, FK rod ends, trussed fr/rr axles
  • 3/8" aluminum and UHMMW skid plate
  • No front sway bar, Curry anti-rock in the rear.
  • PRP Summit Elite seats (2+2)
  • Custom seat brackets front and rear
  • Crow Harnesses
  • 20x10 Spyderlock Wheels w/ Powertank Monster Valves
  • 41.5" Pit Bull Radials

IMG_2978.jpg
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_2784.jpg
IMG_2924.jpg

And, the new tow rig. Only clean pic I have of it so far. (Currently in for ceramic coat and clear bra.)
IMG_3199.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I wasn't sure where to post this up, so I'll just park it here. Since I am in the Middle East a lot, instead of renting a car to get around, I bought a 2023 Nissan Patrol last August. (Wranglers are also popular, but they're about 20% more over here with the cost of shipping and a whopping 15% tax. Typical Rubicon JL runs about $65K here.)

I picked up a new Nissan Patrol (Y61) last year and it's been great. 4x4, dependable, plenty of power, rear locker, moon roof, front and rear A/C and $25K cheaper than a JL Rubicon. I'm a fan. These were never available in the US, which is mostly why I chose it. These Y61's have been one of the most popular vehicles in the Middle East, Africa, and Australia. Nissan made only minor changes from 2004 to 2016, and made no changes from 2016 onward. From what I've been told 2023 is Nissan's last run of these. I can't take it back to the US with me (until 2048,) so when It's time to go, it shouldn't be hard to sell.

My JK is still doing great though I miss it dearly. It's safe in storage, on jack stands, waiting for our annual Moab/Sand Hollow trip in April.

There's some really cool areas to explore here. Land access is open unless it's obviously marked, so we typically just pick a direction and explore. When the summer if over, we'll go more long-trips and camping. Driving through the dunes is something I'd not done till now and it's so much fun. Scary, but fun now that I've got the hang of it. Next week my son is coming for a visit and we might take a road trip to Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Mods & Accessories:
Old Man Emu (+5cm) coils & Old Man Emu BP51 Shocks
Method Wheels, Goodyear 285 All Terrain tires
Swapped fog lights for Baja Designs Squadron Pros
Baja Designs LP4s on hood mounts in front of A-Pillar
4 Wheel Parts RGB Rock Lights
MaxTrax Extreme traction boards (2pair)
ARB Twin Compressor (The portable kit)
ARB Base Rack (The size the shop suggested blocks part of the sunroof, if I could go back I'd get a shorter one.)

Attachments

• IMG_8299.jpeg
    IMG_8299.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DJI_0015.JPG
    DJI_0015.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DJI_0017.JPG
    DJI_0017.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DJI_0005.JPG
    DJI_0005.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PIC SPHINX ROCK 03.jpeg
    PIC SPHINX ROCK 03.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5918.jpeg
    IMG_5918.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 10
I wasn't sure where to post this up, so I'll just park it here. Since I am in the Middle East a lot, instead of renting a car to get around, I bought a 2023 Nissan Patrol last August. (Wranglers are also popular, but they're about 20% more over here with the cost of shipping and a whopping 15% tax. Typical Rubicon JL runs about $65K here.)

I picked up a new Nissan Patrol (Y61) last year and it's been great. 4x4, dependable, plenty of power, rear locker, moon roof, front and rear A/C and $25K cheaper than a JL Rubicon. I'm a fan. These were never available in the US, which is mostly why I chose it. These Y61's have been one of the most popular vehicles in the Middle East, Africa, and Australia. Nissan made only minor changes from 2004 to 2016, and made no changes from 2016 onward. From what I've been told 2023 is Nissan's last run of these. I can't take it back to the US with me (until 2048,) so when It's time to go, it shouldn't be hard to sell.

My JK is still doing great though I miss it dearly. It's safe in storage, on jack stands, waiting for our annual Moab/Sand Hollow trip in April.

There's some really cool areas to explore here. Land access is open unless it's obviously marked, so we typically just pick a direction and explore. When the summer if over, we'll go more long-trips and camping. Driving through the dunes is something I'd not done till now and it's so much fun. Scary, but fun now that I've got the hang of it. Next week my son is coming for a visit and we might take a road trip to Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Mods & Accessories:
Old Man Emu (+5cm) coils & Old Man Emu BP51 Shocks
Method Wheels, Goodyear 285 All Terrain tires
Swapped fog lights for Baja Designs Squadron Pros
Baja Designs LP4s on hood mounts in front of A-Pillar
4 Wheel Parts RGB Rock Lights
MaxTrax Extreme traction boards (2pair)
ARB Twin Compressor (The portable kit)
ARB Base Rack (The size the shop suggested blocks part of the sunroof, if I could go back I'd get a shorter one.)
Very cool!

What kind of birds are in the Aviary?

That is beautiful over there! That’s a bummer about not being able to get a JK or JL but glad to hear that you’re happy with what you picked!

Very cool!

What kind of birds are in the Aviary?
Theres a few of these Pigeon Towers still around in the middle-east dating back to the 13th Century. They were used in large farming areas as a source for food and fertilizer. The slope to the towers helps the poop collect in the center of the rooms below. Since farmers can now buy fertilizer and soil, they no longer need the towers. And since the pigeons have shelter, food and water in town, they've also moved on. There was maybe a dozen or so pigeons and doves hanging around.

Theres also a couple dried up water sources nearby that were cool to explore.

Attachments

• IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DJI_0034.JPG
    DJI_0034.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5915.jpeg
    IMG_5915.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DJI_0012.JPG
    DJI_0012.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DJI_0004.JPG
    DJI_0004.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DJI_0039.JPG
    DJI_0039.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
That is beautiful over there! That’s a bummer about not being able to get a JK or JL but glad to hear that you’re happy with what you picked!
Thank you. There's a lot to do now in the city, but I also enjoy getting out and seeing what I can find.

Buying a JK wasn't an option for me. Even the most simple of parts are hard to get, and if you can get them they're expensive and most mechanics are just laborers without any kind of training or education.

Fun Fact: Trucks of any kind in Saudi are registered as commercial vehicles and can only be registered to Saudi Nationals.

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

I have seen those in areas where Falconry was popular and they were full of pigeons used for training the falcons. I never considered the fertilizer aspect.

Top Bottom