GraniteCrystal build thread

Two new goodies in the mail today. First a little mod for the Jeep. Main purpose is to hold my cell phone and take better video while I'm driving. Second, a mod for me. A car is only as good as its driver!

IMG_20160622_135824.jpg

Weekend at Blue Lakes and Mount Quandary

Went camping this past weekend with some friends. Not much Jeeping but some beautiful scenery.

Not much parking at the camp site and it was raining when we got there. Thankful to have 4wd to push me up this muddy slope no problem.
IMG_20160624_151402.jpg

Rain cleared and we walked to far end of the lake, where Monte Cristo Creek water falls down from the reservoir into the lake:
IMG_20160624_160149.jpg

There were tons of fish in the lake; you could see them hanging out 10' off shore. Caught a few 10" brook trout:
IMG_20160624_164207.jpg

Here is a view from the reservoir, looking down over Monte Cristo Creek and the lake we camped on:
download_20160628_092350.jpg

Pic taken from the same spot but rotated so I'm viewing the reservoir:
download_20160628_092353.jpg

On Saturday, we climbed Mount Quandary. About 6 miles round trip. Not a super easy 6 miles either, especially when you're carrying about a 35 pound pack primarily composed of an 18 month old kiddo:
IMG_20160625_081704.jpg

View from the top of Mount Quandary at 14, 265':
IMG_20160625_115609.jpg

On Saturday, we climbed Mount Quandary. About 6 miles round trip. Not a super easy 6 miles either, especially when you're carrying about a 35 pound pack primarily composed of an 18 month old kiddo:

View from the top of Mount Quandary at 14, 265'

That's awesome you took the kid to the top of a 14er! And in June too! Any snowfield crossing? How did he do? How was the wind for him in the carrier?

That's awesome you took the kid to the top of a 14er! And in June too! Any snowfield crossing? How did he do? How was the wind for him in the carrier?

Yep, about 100' of the trail was snow covered at the top. And then it was bare again at the very top where people were hanging out.

He did great. We got an Osprey Poco Premium for him that he enjoyed much more than what we had him in before. Now he can see out and enjoy the hike. It has a sunshade on it that helped with sun and wind.

Attachments

• 1467129842939.jpg
    1467129842939.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 223
Yep, about 100' of the trail was snow covered at the top. And then it was bare again at the very top where people were hanging out.

He did great. We got an Osprey Poco Premium for him that he enjoyed much more than what we had him in before. Now he can see out and enjoy the hike. It has a sunshade on it that helped with sun and wind.

Yep. I have the same pack. We LOVE it. I have maxed it out taking the toddlers on overnights. Only pack I know of that has good gear capacity. Really glad to hear he enjoyed the climb.

Went camping this past weekend with some friends. Not much Jeeping but some beautiful scenery.

Not much parking at the camp site and it was raining when we got there. Thankful to have 4wd to push me up this muddy slope no problem.
View attachment 210267

Rain cleared and we walked to far end of the lake, where Monte Cristo Creek water falls down from the reservoir into the lake:
View attachment 210268

There were tons of fish in the lake; you could see them hanging out 10' off shore. Caught a few 10" brook trout:
View attachment 210269

Here is a view from the reservoir, looking down over Monte Cristo Creek and the lake we camped on:
View attachment 210265

Pic taken from the same spot but rotated so I'm viewing the reservoir:
View attachment 210266

View attachment 210270

View from the top of Mount Quandary at 14, 265':
View attachment 210271

Way to go on Quandary! We tried last year packing a 1 year old and a 3 year old and got turned around on that last push before the summit. We got started too late and the thunder started coming in. We climbed Sherman a couple of weeks later with the kids.

Way to go on Quandary! We tried last year packing a 1 year old and a 3 year old and got turned around on that last push before the summit. We got started too late and the thunder started coming in. We climbed Sherman a couple of weeks later with the kids.

That last push to the Summit. Brutal. I was giving myself a pump up speech and asking my kid on my back for high fives to keep me going.

First in about 10 years. Did Pikes in high school. What are you implying? ;)

I knew you had recently moved here, that's all. They are fun and challenging. I try to do one a year if I can. This year is going to be tough though, we're really busy.

Is this a bad idea?

Jack stand not tall enough, so supplementing with concrete blocks

Attachments

• 1467405729705.jpg
    1467405729705.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 240
Did some googling. Not feeling good about the concrete blocks. So, need some taller jack stands. Anybody got recommendations?

Bummed the BB isn't happening this weekend.

Did some googling. Not feeling good about the concrete blocks. So, need some taller jack stands. Anybody got recommendations?

Bummed the BB isn't happening this weekend.

You're getting a bit close to the edge of the concrete with the jack stand. It's a bit hairy. However, having the solid style blocks is better than hollow. Is running out and grabbing taller stands totally out of the picture?

Otherwise maybe spread the blocks out a bit to get the jack stand feet in the middle of the block, and if you've got some 2x4 laying around put that between the jack stand and block. It'll distribute the load out a bit better so there will be less concentrated load on the block in one spot.

You can also get one set of jack stands under the axle and take the tires off, then drop the axle as far as you can with those stands...and use another set under the frame after you jack it up. It's a bit more work, but you can work around having shorter stands.

You can also get one set of jack stands under the axle and take the tires off, then drop the axle as far as you can with those stands...and use another set under the frame after you jack it up. It's a bit more work, but you can work around having shorter stands.

That's an interesting idea. So jack the axle up enough to get each tire off, then jack the frame as high as I can go, which should give me enough room to full droop the axle without it hitting the ground now that the tires are off. Yes?

Top Bottom