Goodyear Duratrac VS MTR'S

Double T

Its time for new treads,on my 2012 JK. I would like some input on both Duratracs and on MTR's Daly driver, wheeler, hunter explorer. thanks Double T

Duratracs are great tires, great for a daily driver and especially good in the snow. MT/R's with Kevlar are by far the worst tires I have ever run and so wanted to love. They are difficult to balance, their directional like tread causing funny handling on the highway and they have very weak sidewalls. I would NOT recommend them.

Hmm I was debating MT/R-K, but I guess since the Nittos are only 20 more a tire, I may go that direction.

Duratracs are great tires, great for a daily driver and especially good in the snow. MT/R's with Kevlar are by far the worst tires I have ever run and so wanted to love. They are difficult to balance, their directional like tread causing funny handling on the highway and they have very weak sidewalls. I would NOT recommend them.

DAmn..... I wanted to love em too. I think you were the nail in the coffin for me getting the MTR-Ks..........

I know you don't like them, but there are several ppl I wheel with who have them and love them. They've never complained about those issues. Were yours an early production run set Eddie?

I know you don't like them, but there are several ppl I wheel with who have them and love them. They've never complained about those issues. Were yours an early production run set Eddie?

LOL!! They never complain about them because like most people, they just spent a boat load of money on them and god forbid if they made a mistake. Also, you'd really need to do an apples to apples side by side comparison to really see what I'm talking about. Me, I have multiple Jeeps and I go through tires fast. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to test out a lot of different tires and many times, have been able to do side by side comparisons. That's where a lot of my opinions regarding the MT/R with Kevlar come from.

However, I've also had the privilege of helping Nitto do a tire endurance test out in Johnson Valley. We tested a whole host of tires of different makes with all of them being the same size, all mounted on the exact same wheel, all running the same psi, all installed on the same Jeep and all taken over the exact same obstacles the same amount of times and with the same driver/spotter to ensure the exact same line was taken. Of all the tires, the MT/R's were the most unpredictable on the rocks and the first to tear a sidewall.

Like I said, I love the look of the MT/R's, paid FULL PRICE for them and oh so wanted to love them. And, before the fanboys come on here to suggest that I'm biased because I run Nittos, please note that I just got done PRAISING Duratracs and both tires are made by Goodyear.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you don't have to just take my word for it. GCM 2 here on the forum used to be a big fan of the MT/R, that is, until he started blowing out his sidewalls. He now runs Nittos.

Duratracs have weak sidewalls.

Yup. I love Duratracs but have now sliced two sidewalls in the last four months. This is my most recent one. Thank God for a no-questions-asked warranty.

Attachments

• 1419475847062.jpg
    1419475847062.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 143
Duratracs are an awesome Jack of all trades tire, but the sidewall durability leaves something to be desired. Which sucks cuz they really are a great tire for a DD Jeep. Quiet, light, decent traction in most conditions. For those who live in snowy climates they even have the mountain & snowflake designation. I just wish the sidewalls were tougher.

LOL!! They never complain about them because like most people, they just spent a boat load of money on them and god forbid if they made a mistake. Also, you'd really need to do an apples to apples side by side comparison to really see what I'm talking about. Me, I have multiple Jeeps and I go through tires fast. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to test out a lot of different tires and many times, have been able to do side by side comparisons. That's where a lot of my opinions regarding the MT/R with Kevlar come from.

However, I've also had the privilege of helping Nitto do a tire endurance test out in Johnson Valley. We tested a whole host of tires of different makes with all of them being the same size, all mounted on the exact same wheel, all running the same psi, all installed on the same Jeep and all taken over the exact same obstacles the same amount of times and with the same driver/spotter to ensure the exact same line was taken. Of all the tires, the MT/R's were the most unpredictable on the rocks and the first to tear a sidewall.

Like I said, I love the look of the MT/R's, paid FULL PRICE for them and oh so wanted to love them. And, before the fanboys come on here to suggest that I'm biased because I run Nittos, please note that I just got done PRAISING Duratracs and both tires are made by Goodyear.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. I'm not a fanboy and I hope you don't think I was trolling you (I know that happens a lot here). I was just wondering if maybe GY made any changes to the tire that maybe addressed the issues you had. The guys I wheel with do bitch about their expensive purchases, I just haven't heard them complain about their MT/R's. They seem to all love them.

No hate, no trolling, just conversing. And hiding from my inlaws downstairs ;) Merry Christmas everyone!!

LOL!! Nah, not referring to you, just the typical Butthurt fanboy that almost always comes on :)

I have put 12,000 miles on my mtr's in all conditions and absolutely love them. Good article for tire reviews.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/

Don't get me wrong but, out in FL, what exactly constitutes "all conditions"? Try wheeling out in Florence Junction, AZ or Johnson Valley, CA with them and see how long they last.

As far as fourwheeler goes, please - you can't even get them to do a review of a product unless the manufacturer in question advertises in their rag. And trust me, I know the guys who work there personally including the editor. :naw:

Don't get me wrong but, out in FL, what exactly constitutes "all conditions"? Try wheeling out in Florence Junction, AZ or Johnson Valley, CA with them and see how long they last.

As far as fourwheeler goes, please - you can't even get them to do a review of a product unless the manufacturer in question advertises in their rag. And trust me, I know the guys who work there personally including the editor. :naw:

I've had the Nittos on a previous vehicle and currently have the mtr/k's now.... I got about 40k+ on the set of Nittos and have about 1.5k on the goodyears....

I like both and can attest to the durability of the Nittos. They are tough and mileage was great...

My first trip on brand new goodyears was at florence junction, az since its pretty much in my backyard... they defiantly showed some wear, but I have no complaints on their performance....... We'll see how long they last though..

Top Bottom