Fan replacement 3.6

toxicwaste29

I saw a write up from another forum where they replaced the stock radiator fan with an aftermarket waterproof unit. I can't post the link since it will be removed but it can be found by googling. I have to replace my stock fan and was wondering it I should go stock again or if it is a worthy mod.

For instance I am considering a spal waterproof pull fan. Im sure I can wire it up to the original wiring but does anyone know if it will still throw an engine code?

For instance I am considering a spal waterproof pull fan. Im sure I can wire it up to the original wiring but does anyone know if it will still throw an engine code?

Just curious if you are having overheating issues? My 2014 Auto with 37s in the hills of California has no issues at all. Sure, I might see the temp climb into the low 230s on a steep grade, but that isn't an issue on the 3.6, or many newer engines for that matter.

I've seen on other forums where guys chase their tails because they see the EVIC displaying temps in the 230s and even 240s.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, but maybe a little context as to why might be more helpful.

Edit: So I just looked at your rig in your profile and I really can't see why an aftermarket fan is necessary. If you are having issues, there is probably something else going on other than your fan (wrong/mixed coolant, dirty/clogged radiator, etc.).

Last edited:
No the jeep threw a cooling fan code. I've been through everything else and the fan is all that's left. Running the ac the gauge goes above 3/4 and the fan never cycles on. Relays and fuses are good along with the connections. mud killed it

Just do a hood louver or the aev heat reduction hood if it bothers you that much, even with my heat reduction hood I still get to 230 in some cases

No the jeep threw a cooling fan code. I've been through everything else and the fan is all that's left. Running the ac the gauge goes above 3/4 and the fan never cycles on. Relays and fuses are good along with the connections. mud killed it

Ah. By chance are you still under warranty?

Not under warranty. Its about 20 here now and sitting with the ac on it gets above 3/4 (testing the fan I don't run ac in the winter). The fan doesn't turn on at all so I will need more than just a hood for when summer comes.

Not under warranty. Its about 20 here now and sitting with the ac on it gets above 3/4 (testing the fan I don't run ac in the winter). The fan doesn't turn on at all so I will need more than just a hood for when summer comes.

I've never looked at any aftermarket fan options, but is replacing it with an OEM an option? In theory, it should be water resistant and I just guessing that your original fan may have been killed as a result of mud jamming the fan causing it to burn up. Not sure an aftermarket fan would help that (if that's the case).

I'd vote for a new OEM fan and a radiator fluid change. Just be sure to use the correct anti-freeze!

ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

My 2012 was in Arizona for 2 1/2 years in up to 118 deg. and never ran hot or overheated. I'd just replace the stocker.:yup:

Its not so much the stock not being capable it was that it isn't waterproof and I would rather not go through another fan. Its winter here and I haven't gone through mud for a couples months it just decided to randomly freeze up or something.

I just called the dealer. They don't sell just the motor so I'll have to get an entire assembly for $600. Looks like I might go aftermarket for $100 and deal with the engine light on if it doesn't turn off

I just called the dealer. They don't sell just the motor so I'll have to get an entire assembly for $600. Looks like I might go aftermarket for $100 and deal with the engine light on if it doesn't turn off

$600 is crazy. If you want the mopar fan assembly for cheaper pm me and I can give you a link for a dealer that's sells mopar parts at a discount.

$600 is crazy. If you want the mopar fan assembly for cheaper pm me and I can give you a link for a dealer that's sells mopar parts at a discount.

Will do. I got the part number and looked around and found some for about $400. I'll get the system tested to make sure though it is in fact the fan

Mud did the same to mine, and they replaced whole thing under warranty.

There should be three pins power ground and switch, to check fan you have to bridge power and switch but I wouldn't let it run too long that way just long enough to check fan

Dealer told me at the time they had to do whole unit as well, this all happened after I buried rig in mud up to just below the stock air box, I didn't get stuck though!!!

Mud did the same to mine, and they replaced whole thing under warranty.

There should be three pins power ground and switch, to check fan you have to bridge power and switch but I wouldn't let it run too long that way just long enough to check fan

Dealer told me at the time they had to do whole unit as well, this all happened after I buried rig in mud up to just below the stock air box, I didn't get stuck though!!!

Ya I have to replace my entire assembly. I thought about the switch wire but when I multimeter it; it is showing up as like a third ground. Can you voltmeter yours? I am getting 12 v between the red and black all the time and then another 12v between red and the small switch wire.

Its not so much the stock not being capable it was that it isn't waterproof and I would rather not go through another fan. Its winter here and I haven't gone through mud for a couples months it just decided to randomly freeze up or something.

My bad! Guess I read fan and translated that to heat. Wow, 600 big ones! I do lots of water crossings and some quite deep with no worries. Been lucky so far, I guess. Best of luck finding a replacement.:yup:

Bump. Can anyone take the voltmeter reading for me? I'm getting 12v red to black and red to small signal wire black all the time. Not sure if this is right

Top Bottom