Extra Fuel/Tire Carrier solutions 392

benatc1

Hooked
Looking for any feedback/experience. Wanting to extend the range of my 392 for various off tossing reasons but running into a lot of compromises or money to be spent. My original plan has been to just add some type of rotopax mount to my current set up (mopar HD tire carrier with 38/13.5/beadlock) but the more I drive with this at any really speed off road the more I notice it moving a bit so I’m concerned about adding more weight to it and even at that I can spend the money and still only have 4-6 extra gallons, which reliably equated to about 40-60miles, which isn’t horrible, but I’d be spending a good bit for just that.

I’m also debating installing the EVO tire carrier that I’m trying to sell, but doesn’t change the formula very much, tho it will be a stronger set up. If I do this EVO Carrier, I looked at an 11 gallon carrier mounted titan fuel caddy that would be less than the rotopax/mounts but seems like adding 100lbs to a body mount carrier with an already heavy tire wheel combo isn’t the next idea if I still want to drive the jeep how I want drive it. I may also do this with standard rotopax mounts for more strength and bypass large tank.

No aux tanks for under the 392 on the market at this point.

Also considering the hardtop mount set up from Trailrax, but concerned about it holding up at speed, however could carry 16 gallons but it’s 500 plus another 500+ in rotopax equip. Would need to real feedback before buying this and finding out it’s crap.

So it’s got me thinking about a bumper/tire carrier set up. I’d also be thinking about adding a rack (for more storage space) to the top of the carrier which would justify needing more weight capacity, Which regardless of which one I buy I’d be in it all for about the same price (almost 3k). Granted selling everything I have would soften the blow. Looking at the following and curious any feedback.

AEV bumper/tire carrier with 10gallon fuel caddy. Don’t love the look of bumper but would maximize fuel/strength and I know AEV makes a quality product. ~2750

LOD Offroad destroyer bumper/tire carrier. Could only get 6 gallons after all add ons. Know quality product and lots of options. Would have to also buy rotopax. ~2600 + ~300

Expedition One core series 2 bumper/tire carrier. Unknown quality but American made and seem to have a good reputation in other vehicles, would also need to buy rotopax but could carry 8 gallons. ~ 2300 + ~350. Also seem to an have 3 month lead times, which may be the case for everyone.

Sorry for a lot to unpack here but curious if anyone has an experience or feedback. My current range is about 270 miles, with these I could add anywhere from 40-160 miles which obviously may not always be necessary. Even tho I have a few out and back trips I want to do that might be cutting it close.

I've got the LOD carrier, with both side can mounts you can get 2 Wavian 6 gallon cans on there, one on each side of the tire for 12 gallons total. Great sturdy system, but be warned LOD says the side can mounts will only clear a 37" tire. I know for damn sure they wont clear a 40" unless you put them way up high, like I have temporarily. I've got to get those arms extended at a welding shop, don't like the spouts up above my head.
20240611_100511.jpg
20240627_103853.jpg

The easiest solution would be to reinstall the EVO tire carrier you already have or at least, in my opinion. That setup does a better job of allowing you to suck in the spare and keep it from jiggling around and that will also allow you to carry more weight, such as, in the case of rotopax strapped to it.

That said, I really hate carrying extra fuel and try to avoid it as much as possible. More times than not, I personally find that I never end up needing it and so long as you plan ahead, I always find that fuel can be found within a 200 miles range (well within the 392's capabilities), even if it means deviating from a route a bit. But then, that's just me and I get the desire for added insurance.

I've got the LOD carrier, with both side can mounts you can get 2 Wavian 6 gallon cans on there, one on each side of the tire for 12 gallons total. Great sturdy system, but be warned LOD says the side can mounts will only clear a 37" tire. I know for damn sure they wont clear a 40" unless you put them way up high, like I have temporarily. I've got to get those arms extended at a welding shop, don't like the spouts up above my head.
View attachment 412778
View attachment 412779
Yea I wouldn’t like those that high either but it does look like a great set up. Good to know about the tire size too. Thanks

The easiest solution would be to reinstall the EVO tire carrier you already have or at least, in my opinion. That setup does a better job of allowing you to suck in the spare and keep it from jiggling around and that will also allow you to carry more weight, such as, in the case of rotopax strapped to it.

That said, I really hate carrying extra fuel and try to avoid it as much as possible. More times than not, I personally find that I never end up needing it and so long as you plan ahead, I always find that fuel can be found within a 200 miles range (well within the 392's capabilities), even if it means deviating from a route a bit. But then, that's just me and I get the desire for added insurance.
I’m definitely leaning this way if no other reason than cost and I have it here. I doubt I’d use it often but I do want to carry some insurance for a couple trips I’m planning up to more northern nevada with my brother in law. But I do agree, in most cases a lot extra won’t be needed which probably negates the need for even more than 8 gallons.

I’m definitely leaning this way if no other reason than cost and I have it here. I doubt I’d use it often but I do want to carry some insurance for a couple trips I’m planning up to more northern nevada with my brother in law. But I do agree, in most cases a lot extra won’t be needed which probably negates the need for even more than 8 gallons.
The other thing to consider is getting cross bars for your hard top and installing a basic rack and securing the cans to it. That is, assuming you don't still have a roof top tent up there.

Also, I've done a ton of exploring up in Northern Nevada and can tell you, even though it's vast and gas sparse, it can still be found and without too much issue. You just have to plan and route around it. To this day, I have never needed extra fuel, even in gas hogs like Moby and our big JT.

The other thing to consider is getting cross bars for your hard top and installing a basic rack and securing the cans to it. That is, assuming you don't still have a roof top tent up there.
Yea I’ll likely have the tent in most cases like this, might look at slide mounts too for my rack.

Also, I've done a ton of exploring up in Northern Nevada and can tell you, even though it's vast and gas sparse, it can still be found and without too much issue. You just have to plan and route around it. To this day, I have never needed extra fuel, even in gas hogs like Moby and our big JT.
That definitely gives me some confidence, do you think there will be issues finding premium at those remote places?

Edit: I know diesel can be dicey but haven’t ever thought about premium

That definitely gives me some confidence, do you think there will be issues finding premium at those remote places?
Depends on where you're going but it can be an issue. If you're going to the Black Rock Desert area or Sheldon, there are a handful of towns that have it. Up near Denio or Jarbidge, not so much. In those instances, I carry octane boost and find that it gets the job done or at least, well enough.

Depends on where you're going but it can be an issue. If you're going to the Black Rock Desert area or Sheldon, there are a handful of towns that have it. Up near Denio or Jarbidge, not so much. In those instances, I carry octane boost and find that it gets the job done or at least, well enough.
Ah good point on the boost.

I've got a couple of 2.3 gallon plastic fuel containers from eBay. Just started carrying them because I'm that guy who gets 20 miles into the backcountry. Goes for my hike/backpack, ski or whatever. Then get into the jeep turn it on and get the fuel warning light. I never seem to notice the low fuel until I'm way too far out in the middle of nowhere. I keep my containers between the tailgate and the storage drawer I built for my 2 door.

I have the trailrax kit for the hard top and don’t like them at all. They are heavy by themselves and with four gallons on there it wiggles and squeaks, not to mention the stress it puts on the top. Personally, my plan at some point is to put a heavy duty tire carrier with the rotopax strapped to the spare. But, as Eddie mentioned, I have yet to need extra fuel so it’s not high on my priority list.

Can always grab a plastic pit can or two. They're same plastic as the Rotopax but have a more stable base. I have a couple 15 gallon ones I take me on trips that I leave in the truck if I'm hauling the Jeep, and a smaller one like this if I'm driving it. I use the 15 gallon to fuel up all the various tractors, quads, mowers, etc too. I use the pump below to transfer from the 15 gallon ones but it'd work on the 5.5 gallon one too.

lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61

I have the trailrax kit for the hard top and don’t like them at all. They are heavy by themselves and with four gallons on there it wiggles and squeaks, not to mention the stress it puts on the top. Personally, my plan at some point is to put a heavy duty tire carrier with the rotopax strapped to the spare. But, as Eddie mentioned, I have yet to need extra fuel so it’s not high on my priority list.
Thanks for the info on that, I was a bit skeptical, but good to know

Can always grab a plastic pit can or two. They're same plastic as the Rotopax but have a more stable base. I have a couple 15 gallon ones I take me on trips that I leave in the truck if I'm hauling the Jeep, and a smaller one like this if I'm driving it. I use the 15 gallon to fuel up all the various tractors, quads, mowers, etc too. I use the pump below to transfer from the 15 gallon ones but it'd work on the 5.5 gallon one too.

lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61

Yea those could be a good option, would just take up space in the jeep, which depending on how many kids it might be premium 😂.

Looking for any feedback/experience. Wanting to extend the range of my 392 for various off tossing reasons but running into a lot of compromises or money to be spent. My original plan has been to just add some type of rotopax mount to my current set up (mopar HD tire carrier with 38/13.5/beadlock) but the more I drive with this at any really speed off road the more I notice it moving a bit so I’m concerned about adding more weight to it and even at that I can spend the money and still only have 4-6 extra gallons, which reliably equated to about 40-60miles, which isn’t horrible, but I’d be spending a good bit for just that.

I’m also debating installing the EVO tire carrier that I’m trying to sell, but doesn’t change the formula very much, tho it will be a stronger set up. If I do this EVO Carrier, I looked at an 11 gallon carrier mounted titan fuel caddy that would be less than the rotopax/mounts but seems like adding 100lbs to a body mount carrier with an already heavy tire wheel combo isn’t the next idea if I still want to drive the jeep how I want drive it. I may also do this with standard rotopax mounts for more strength and bypass large tank.

No aux tanks for under the 392 on the market at this point.

Also considering the hardtop mount set up from Trailrax, but concerned about it holding up at speed, however could carry 16 gallons but it’s 500 plus another 500+ in rotopax equip. Would need to real feedback before buying this and finding out it’s crap.

So it’s got me thinking about a bumper/tire carrier set up. I’d also be thinking about adding a rack (for more storage space) to the top of the carrier which would justify needing more weight capacity, Which regardless of which one I buy I’d be in it all for about the same price (almost 3k). Granted selling everything I have would soften the blow. Looking at the following and curious any feedback.

AEV bumper/tire carrier with 10gallon fuel caddy. Don’t love the look of bumper but would maximize fuel/strength and I know AEV makes a quality product. ~2750

LOD Offroad destroyer bumper/tire carrier. Could only get 6 gallons after all add ons. Know quality product and lots of options. Would have to also buy rotopax. ~2600 + ~300

Expedition One core series 2 bumper/tire carrier. Unknown quality but American made and seem to have a good reputation in other vehicles, would also need to buy rotopax but could carry 8 gallons. ~ 2300 + ~350. Also seem to an have 3 month lead times, which may be the case for everyone.

Sorry for a lot to unpack here but curious if anyone has an experience or feedback. My current range is about 270 miles, with these I could add anywhere from 40-160 miles which obviously may not always be necessary. Even tho I have a few out and back trips I want to do that might be cutting it close.
It seems to me that AEV is the best technical solution since it carries more gallons, supports the spare tire, and is frame mounted. But the provided gas storage tank surely has a maximum allowed tire size, which is likely a 37.

Top Bottom