Evo Coilover Noise

Jackboeker83

So I have had my coil overs for a little over a year and I have had a noise that I am not sure if its acceptable or not. When I hit a curb or obstacle with any individual tire it goes over smooth as butter and doesn't make a lot of noise. As soon as I hit something with both front tires I get a loud clank. I have posted some videos (I apologize in advance for the shitty quality). I have never had coil overs before and I have heard they are noisy but I cant even drive down the beach (not even going that fast) or offroad trail without feeling like my front end is getting beat the hell up, people can hear me coming from a mile away. I mean in two of the videos I am going up a tiny curb to my driveway and its banging like that. The backs do it a little bit but barely even enough to notice. I had thought it was the King Bump stops but I took those off to see if that was the culprit but I still had that banging noise. I have taken it to a shop to check my clearances and they said I'm not hitting anything. I have also replaced the King sliders with AGM sliders and that wasn't it. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or tell me to get used to it. lol

Last edited:
Check the clocking of the springs, lower cups, preload etc, mine were a bit noisy when first installed but within a few miles off road quieted down.

Here is what is throwing me off. When I am flexing or take a tire up a curb going 30 miles an hour. Its smooth and doesn't make that kind of noise. When I hit something square or my front end dips on both sides it bangs.

So I have had my coil overs for a little over a year and I have had a noise that I am not sure if its acceptable or not. When I hit a curb or obstacle with any individual tire it goes over smooth as butter and doesn't make a lot of noise. As soon as I hit something with both front tires I get a loud clank. I have posted some videos (I apologize in advance for the shitty quality). I have never had coil overs before and I have heard they are noisy but I cant even drive down the beach (not even going that fast) or offroad trail without feeling like my front end is getting beat the hell up, people can hear me coming from a mile away. I mean in two of the videos I am going up a tiny curb to my driveway and its banging like that. The backs do it a little bit but barely even enough to notice. I had thought it was the King Bump stops but I took those off to see if that was the culprit but I still had that banging noise. I have taken it to a shop to check my clearances and they said I'm not hitting anything. I have also replaced the King sliders with AGM sliders and that wasn't it. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or tell me to get used to it. lol

I've got the same noise, I'm thinking it's the sliders.

Was going to spray WD-40 on them but haven't gotten around to it.

That’s one hell of a clunk. Just to spitball some things;
A) Check control arm bolts and look for any witness marks.
B) Check and confirm that they trimmed the own shock tower and coil bucket enough to clear the coils.
C) If you have Heim joints on your sway bar ends, check those, they pop when worn out.
D) Prob not the problem but worth checking. Check the rear passenger bump stop and make sure it’s angled forward. If not, it will hit the track bar bracket.

I would also try laying under the jeep
And have someone stand on the front pumper and bounce the front end to
See if you can replicate/pinpoint.

Something is definitely hitting/loose. That is not normal coilover noise.

I'm sorry, I know you're knowledgeable and helpful, but NO ONE is standing on my front pumper and bouncing my front end.........

B) Check and confirm that they trimmed the own shock tower and coil bucket enough to clear the coils.
C) If you have Heim joints on your sway bar ends, check those, they pop when worn out.
D) Prob not the problem but worth checking. Check the rear passenger bump stop and make sure it’s angled forward. If not, it will hit the track bar bracket.

I had my neighbor come over and drive it while I listen/looked for the sound. So I think it might be problem B. I previously had a clearance issue there and I thought I got enough of it but that where the sound seems to be coming from. Visually the upper spring is getting caught on something... its definitely not a smooth operation... almost like a popping movement if that makes any sense. I couldn't 100% confirm the sound is coming from there because sometimes I think I heard it from the back of my control arms and of course was never consistent. We also tried jumping on the front of the bumper I don't think there was enough weight on it to make it do it. Heard some major sqeeking but might need to add a body or two to get enough weight on it. The thing that drives me crazy is the fact that its a tiny bump into my driveway and I am going slow. I would understand the crazy clunk if I was making my suspension work but it was barely moving.

I got some video but I do admit that its probably the worst video on the face of the earth. lol

hell, there goes my WD-40 maintenance plan

Thanks for the guidance but no beer for you 🤪

Last edited:
hell, there goes my WG-40 maintenance plan

Thanks for the guidance but no beer for you 🤪
I put PB blaster on the slides and its still doing it. I might shave it down and still make the noise. I'll keep working on it and let you know what I find. I have delt with it for a long time and finally hit the breaking point of finally figuring out what it is.

Top Bottom