Escondido Draw Recreation Area. April 8-10

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460322253.928664.jpg
So they're not just for looks after all.... Had a great time out there with Nick. It's too bad he was the only one able to make it out, but what we lacked in quantity we made up in quality. As usual we were so busy running the trails that we didn't take any pics, or at least I didn't. Hopefully Nick got some and will post them up.

Last edited:
View attachment 197720
So they're not just for looks after all.... Had a great time out there with Nick. It's too bad he was the only one able to make it out, but what we lacked in quantity we made up in quality. As usual we were so busy running the trails that we didn't take any pics, or at least I didn't. Hopefully Nick got some and will post them up.

The cave looks sweet! Hopefully I can make the next one out there! maybe we can tack on big bend before the draw. :thumb: I hope Nick has pics!! How did you catch that rock?

The cave looks sweet! Hopefully I can make the next one out there! maybe we can tack on big bend before the draw. :thumb: I hope Nick has pics!! How did you catch that rock?

Not sure how I did that. Didn't even notice until I got back to camp. Nick had a rough trip, but wheeled it like a boss. Even left his rear bumper on a trail somewhere.

Im a little late to posting but i got home from driving and after unpacking and everything was just to tired to do anything. I did some good miles ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460393879.167196.jpgthis was round trip. Not too shabby. Longest trip ive done on the wrangler so far. Also going to mention that this was the hardest place ive ever been to! I wouldnt recommend a stock rig coming to this place at all. As granite said in a past post, all the fresh trails make for some hard wheeling. Loose and pretty big sized rocks really tests your driving skills and endurance. I was pretty much locked front and rear the whole time we got on the trails.

View attachment 197720
This actually made me want to get some body armor even more. Yes my dad actually got a good amount of photos. I just need to send them to my phone and i will post them on here.
I told granite i might not return to that place for a long time lol
Not sure how I did that. Didn't even notice until I got back to camp. Nick had a rough trip, but wheeled it like a boss. Even left his rear bumper on a trail somewhere.

Thanks bud, and yeah. It was an interesting trip to say the least. But whats an adventure if everything goes according to plan [emoji106]🏻

Alright, here are the pics as promised.
Funny because the road trip was going well. all i had to do was go allll I10 from houston to Escondido. Sure enough, somewhere in san antonio i completely stopped paying attention and thought i was still on I10 even after taking this screenshotImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460433850.615346.jpg
And what ended up happening was i took a big detour through highway 90 and finally noticed i was going the wrong way right before we passed highway 83ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460433936.706778.jpg.
After that, taking the wrong way lead to another road bump. There seemed to be a ton of vultures that day. Sure enough, i kept getting distracted from the scenery. So up ahead was a pretty big dead carcass on the opposite lane with about 6-8 vultures feasting off of it. I figured "there busy eating and wouldnt fly towards me as i drive by. Well i was doing 90 as i passed by them and one decides to make a last minute bail in front of my Jeep. Did he make it? I think notImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460434537.918101.jpg
Ended up hitting so hard it moved my rear view mirror about an inch down. Continuing along for about 50 miles we stopped at a rest stop to clean the glass that was inside of the cab. A little after we finishes cleaning the Jeep, we went another 30 miles or so and stopped at a shell and my dad went inside to get some tape and tape up the outside and inside windshield to hold it off for the remainder of the trip. While he was inside of the store. I For some reason, took the key off the ignition, locked the door and why i did this i have no idea. But i put the keys back in the ignition, walked away and forgot there was strong winds and so be it, shut my door and locked me and my dad out . Luckily enough, the guy at the counter was really nice and looked everywhere for a local locksmith and he was there within 5 mins. 40 bucks later and were back on the road and finally arrived to our destination.
This was such a fun great trip! But being that i only have a leveling kit. My jeep took a beating. Here are the aftermath pictures of the jeep after all the wheeling we did
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460435339.319692.jpg
I lost my rear bumper and my license plate holder.
The last and final bit of carnage was this ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460435431.633424.jpg
I had two big gashes on the sidewall of my tire. Awesomely enough granite and his buddy helped us change my tire on the trail with their bottlejack. Thank you guys again for that! That was awesome [emoji41]
So even with all that that happened. It was still an amazing trip at amazing place with awesome people. I hope some of you guys get to go out there some time. I probably wont go back for a long while lol.
Here are the rest of the photos :thumb:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460435721.977607.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460435812.248728.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436535.547140.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436642.318172.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436658.127069.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436727.309197.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436822.325347.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436835.031928.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436845.702862.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436932.830812.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436959.310448.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460437082.690454.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460437313.008393.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460437329.045793.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460437416.823105.jpg

Before I left the Big Bend area I had signed up to do trail maintenance there. Heard back from them once but that was it. Looks like pretty good trails to me. Maybe, some day in the future, I'll be back that way for a run. Thanks for the pics and time for the EVO rear facia!!! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of carnage. Kinda glad I didn't make my way up there. Definitely would want to beef up the protection and clearance on my rig for that park after seeing more of these pics.

yeah, the place looks pretty hardcore... :thumb: we need a group of built up rigs. maybe everyone here (In the threads who are checking out newbie runs, etc) will be ready to tackle this place in a big way next year. :idontknow: But it looks FUN!

yeah, the place looks pretty hardcore... :thumb: we need a group of built up rigs. maybe everyone here (In the threads who are checking out newbie runs, etc) will be ready to tackle this place in a big way next year. :idontknow: But it looks FUN!

how about I just ride with you instead? :thumb:

Looks like Nick took the extremely scenic route to get there, lol.

Even with the damage, still looks like you guys had a good time. Thanks for the pics!

Top Bottom