EDGE of PIZEN

Crossbow…
Pellet gun!
LOL - I'd take a 12ga to the buggers if they were big enough to see!
What kind of pests are you dealing with? Deer?
Surprisingly, not deer or even rabbits or squirrels. Most of the plants were started indoors and under lights and they're doing okay but seeds that Cindy planted in the ground have been getting dug and eaten by field mice. Things like arugula are getting eaten by flea beetles and I'm not sure what exactly the deal is but it looks like black ants are chewing on the stems of her potatoes and red ants are eating the zucchini.

LOL - I'd take a 12ga to the buggers if they were big enough to see!

Surprisingly, not deer or even rabbits or squirrels. Most of the plants were started indoors and under lights and they're doing okay but seeds that Cindy planted in the ground have been getting dug and eaten by field mice. Things like arugula are getting eaten by flea beetles and I'm not sure what exactly the deal is but it looks like black ants are chewing on the stems of her potatoes and red ants are eating the zucchini.
Have you looked into something like marigolds or other plants that repel certain insects?…I’ve seen these used as borders for some raised bed gardens

Somebody has been very busy…what are we growing here?…tomatoes?
So far, Cindy has the following growing in the garden: Red and yellow onions, shallots, potatoes, bush beans, peppers (jalapenos, red bell, lunchbox, shishitos, serranos), lettuce, arugula, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, watermelon, corn, sunflowers and tomatillos - whew! 🤪
IMG_5514.jpgIMG_5515.jpgIMG_5516.jpg

Have you looked into something like marigolds or other plants that repel certain insects?…I’ve seen these used as borders for some raised bed gardens
Yeah, things like that are on the to do list. Don't really want to use sprays being that we'll be eating this stuff.

Yeah, things like that are on the to do list. Don't really want to use sprays being that we'll be eating this stuff.
I built a screen house for my mom many moons ago for leafy plants and those than are wind pollinated…but it wouldn’t work for cukes, squashes and the like that need insect pollination.

I wish I could grow more than just herbs at my places.

Part of the reason we were in the Big Island was to meet with our architect and interview contractors/builders and landscape architect for reviving our build plans for our property in North Kohala…raised beds and a screen house for herbs and vegetables were on the agenda

Looks great Eddie! You and Cindy have definitely been busy! You guys will be prepared for anything.

Have you thought about chickens to help with the pests? Think of the fun Ripley would have herding them around!

Looks great! Just curious, how often do you need to water? We’ve never had a garden but have had plants that nearly wilt flat and had to water constantly it seemed.

Looks great Eddie! You and Cindy have definitely been busy! You guys will be prepared for anything.

Have you thought about chickens to help with the pests? Think of the fun Ripley would have herding them around!
We've had chickens before and they'd be great to have again but we're just not home enough for them. Maybe someday though especially being we already have a coop for them.

Looks great! Just curious, how often do you need to water? We’ve never had a garden but have had plants that nearly wilt flat and had to water constantly it seemed.
We water daily and adjust the amount given depending on weather. Fortunately, we have a good well and don't get penalized for watering a lot like we do in Carson City but we do use drips so they're more efficient just the same.

So far, Cindy has the following growing in the garden: Red and yellow onions, shallots, potatoes, bush beans, peppers (jalapenos, red bell, lunchbox, shishitos, serranos), lettuce, arugula, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, watermelon, corn, sunflowers and tomatillos - whew! 🤪
View attachment 408803View attachment 408804View attachment 408805
Your garden looks great! I imagine its a little easier growing up there than down here. It's a struggle to grow anything down here lol.

Your garden looks great! I imagine its a little easier growing up there than down here. It's a struggle to grow anything down here lol.
Thanks! Cindy tries real hard to keep one going down in BC but it really is hard during the summer. Up here, our biggest problem is that we still get renegade frost days LOL

Top Bottom