Body Mounted Tire Carrier Debate

Wasn't sure if that's allowed here. Some forums get pissy about other forums, and frankly I'm just not on the forums enough anymore to know which are taboo.

I believe there is already a thread on here, but no, directing traffic to other forums is not allowed here. If you do find something useful on another forum that would contribute to the thread here, you can post a picture or screenshot of it here, ad long as the picture doesn't contain anything that would violate any of our other rules.

I was going to buy the Crawker Concepts body minted tire carrier but then I found a bumper tire carrier on craigslist for half the price! Fuck yes? I love craigslist.

It is made by Hyline Offroad. It's used but in real good shape. It's going to get banged up anyways. Looks like a pretty nice one. The tire carrier opens with the tailgate.

Looking at ordering the EVO carrier with skins. Does anyone weld their carrier to the skins or just bolt it on? Another question has anyone welded flares to their skins, and what flares did you use? If you didn't weld them would you recommend getting the aluminum skins?

Anyone ever try the MORryde system? it looks interesting, you can buy just hinges or the carrier and reinforcement. Could you just get away with the hinges to strengthen things up enough??
This is not my jeep just a stock photo...... Ive been looking into a carrier too

View attachment 220289

I've had this system for just about 9 months and so far it's been great. It's rattle and vibration free and holds my 35 with no issues. I got back from a 6K mile roadtrip about two weeks ago and had zero issues with the carrier. I scraped the tire a couple times wheeling in MOAB but the carrier and the tailgate held up. It's modular so you buy the pieces you need, it's lightweight, less expensive than most carriers, the hindges are greeseable and rebuildable with common harware parts, made in the USA with steel and shipped with stainless hardware, easy to install, opens with the tailgate (Big selling point for me, I'm opening that gate every day multiple times a day), and it looks cool.

The downside (as mentioned before) is the gate stop is just when the hinge bracket jams against the mounting plate, it works but it's a crude design. My door check broke so I have to make sure the gate gently rests against the plate and not let it slam open. Also, I got all three pieces and will be replacing the HD carrier portion with an adjustable bracket. My wheel offset is so far that I have radiator hose extending off the factory bump stops to dampen vibrations.

All in all, I'd buy it again.

I've had this system for just about 9 months and so far it's been great. It's rattle and vibration free and holds my 35 with no issues. I got back from a 6K mile roadtrip about two weeks ago and had zero issues with the carrier. I scraped the tire a couple times wheeling in MOAB but the carrier and the tailgate held up. It's modular so you buy the pieces you need, it's lightweight, less expensive than most carriers, the hindges are greeseable and rebuildable with common harware parts, made in the USA with steel and shipped with stainless hardware, easy to install, opens with the tailgate (Big selling point for me, I'm opening that gate every day multiple times a day), and it looks cool.

The downside (as mentioned before) is the gate stop is just when the hinge bracket jams against the mounting plate, it works but it's a crude design. My door check broke so I have to make sure the gate gently rests against the plate and not let it slam open. Also, I got all three pieces and will be replacing the HD carrier portion with an adjustable bracket. My wheel offset is so far that I have radiator hose extending off the factory bump stops to dampen vibrations.

What is your offset?

Thanks for the review..... I read that there is a bumper now to fix the opening all the way issue, so if you call them they will send you one.
As for the bumpstops off the gate I used a piece of 1 inch pvc cut to length with a round cap on top against the tire, 1 inch fits perfectly inside the bump stop.. Its rigid and really holds the tire snug.

Thanks for the review..... I read that there is a bumper now to fix the opening all the way issue, so if you call them they will send you one.
As for the bumpstops off the gate I used a piece of 1 inch pvc cut to length with a round cap on top against the tire, 1 inch fits perfectly inside the bump stop.. Its rigid and really holds the tire snug.

That's awesome that he keeps at the design and releases improvements. I'll have to give him a call.

I was thinking about ditching the radiator hose extensions and getting an adjustable mount that works with the hinges and support bracket. Even though the tire is snug and doesn't vibrate, it sticks out further than my liking.

Anyone running the GENright with a 35x12.5 mounted have any issues with a gate mounted CB antenna interfering with the tire?

I installed the MorRyde kit, just the hinges and reinforcement kit, I reused my oversize tire carrier. I am very pleased. I have the hi lift jack mount on the way and Ill be into it for under 400$... Some may not love the look but most of its behind the 35 anyway. It is rock solid with no vibes at all and Im not using the isolaters as of now, I ripped the tits off one of them when reinstalling. I don't even think I need to replace them.

All in all, my suggestion to anyone is to pick what ever you like and just get something..... I am so happy just not to hear all that rattling around any more, you wont believe how much it was and loud it is until its gone..

Tony

I have been meaning to post in this thread. So the change in the PSC Body Mount Tire carrier's locking mechanism appears to be a step in the right direction. I still believe the dual pin method that EVO and Gen Right uses is much better.

View attachment 188819'
View attachment 188820

I am not aware how the previous lock worked but this one appears to be different based on pictures of the previous one. Upon turning the handle horizontally (thus turning the U-shaped latch horizontally) in order to lock it closed the handle is pushed down and the U latch is sucked in/pulled against the latch-plate (the big, black steel-boxed structure). The tightness can obviously be adjusted by moving the nuts and U-latch accordingly. I have yet to experience any rattles or squeaks during on-road driving. We'll see how offorad goes but so far with the rough roads and huge pot holes in Houston...it has done well thus far. Although if I could do it over again I may more seriously consider the GR carrier I really hope this carrier does well since quite a bit of drilling was involved into the tub and I also prefer the appearance of this carrier.

View attachment 188821
Not sure what kind of nuts they used to lock the latch plate into place, but make sure you have something like lock-tite on them. That latch system is heavier than what's used on 18 wheeler side boxes, but still the same thing, and they have a habit of coming loose over time due to vibration. Not saying theirs will but something to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

All in all, my suggestion to anyone is to pick what ever you like and just get something...

To each their own. Clearly, people should spend their hard earned money however they want. Over the last 20 years and on all the Jeeps I've owned, I would have really appreciated some good advice as to what I should have gotten and what I shouldn't have. Sure would have saved me a lot of money. But of course, that's just me.

All in all, my suggestion to anyone is to pick what ever you like and just get something...

To each their own. Clearly, people should spend their hard earned money however they want. Over the last 20 years and on all the Jeeps I've owned, I would have really appreciated some good advice as to what I should have gotten and what I shouldn't have. Sure would have saved me a lot of money. But of course, that's just me.

Sorry Eddie I don't think I worded that very well, my meaning was Just get something, you will be so much happier you did and that the darn tailgate and carrier isn't rattling around any more. I wish I would have gotten a system a long time ago.. My first day driving to work it took me a while to figure out what was so different.... It was quiet

I agree fully and have "wasted" a lot of money myself over many builds of cars

Last edited:
Top Bottom