A French JK

If you are looking up parts for your Jeep here in Europe look up ASP Eberle. I am part of a German Jeep club and we do the European Jeepers Jamboree every year in France. I happen to be the only American there. Everyone else is from the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England and other European countries. Even as far as Norway and Sweden. The biggest complaints from a lot of German and European Jeepers is the lack of after market support due to international shipping or high import taxes. ASP carriers a number of aftermarket items from many different companies. All of which has been approved German and other European countries TUV inspection standard.

Thanks ! I'll have a look at it.

Guys, I need your help. I want to add a front bumper and a winch. Do I really need something to make my front axle stronger ? I've read some things about it but I can't find the real word for the piece I have to buy. I've found that I need C's or gussets... Is there another word ?

Thanks in advance.
Yvan

Welcome to WAL Yvan

I'll chime in on the fact that your grammar is excellent - don't think you will have to worry about anyone correcting you!

As far as your winch question, you won't need to upgrade your axle in order to run an aftermarket bumper and winch. Just make sure that the aftermarket bumper you choose can accommodate the winch you want to run (you'll get a lot of recommendations to buy a Warn winch and I'd agree). One possible issue you may run into though is running a heavier bumper and a winch may cause your front end to sag slightly. I would recommend a winch with synthetic line in order to save some weight.

Good luck and post up some photos when you get it done!

Welcome to WAL Yvan

I'll chime in on the fact that your grammar is excellent - don't think you will have to worry about anyone correcting you!

As far as your winch question, you won't need to upgrade your axle in order to run an aftermarket bumper and winch. Just make sure that the aftermarket bumper you choose can accommodate the winch you want to run (you'll get a lot of recommendations to buy a Warn winch and I'd agree). One possible issue you may run into though is running a heavier bumper and a winch may cause your front end to sag slightly. I would recommend a winch with synthetic line in order to save some weight.

Good luck and post up some photos when you get it done!

Woaw, that's really nice ! Thanks a lot :blush:

Regarding the winch question. I really want a nice bumper. And as I usually go outside on my own, I think that a winch can be a good choice, just in case. Even if I won't do as much as you guys, it is just for security purposes. So I am currently thinking about this stuff.

Winch :
SMITTYBILT XRC GEN2 9500 LBS Synthetic Rope (Warn is really expensive in France)

Front bumper :
Front Bumper Smittybilt XRC M.O.D. - center section with Bull Bar for Front Bumper Smittybilt M.O.D. XRC (I really like the look but I can't put my fog lights)
or
Front Steel Winch Bumper XRC Gen2 SMITTYBILT

I want to stay kind of street legal, so no extreme front bumper with a stinger.

What do you think about it ? Any recommendations for a bumper which I could find in France (or Europe) with bullbar and factory fog lights mounts ? I think that I have a dana 30 and read that's it's really fragile. Are you sure that I won't need any reinforcement ?

I'm currently reading your topic build. Looks awesome !

Thanks,
Yvan

Thanks buddy, appreciate that!

Honestly, for the wheeling that you do your axle should be fine. There are an awful lot of guys out there with that axle and they don't have any problems with it. I wouldn't really say that the D30 is fragile, but the inner 'C's would definitely benefit from the reinforcements offered. That would be what many would consider a must-do modification. Since you don't list a lift as one of your mods I wouldn't worry about doing anything further to it.

As far as a winch is concerned, stop and think about what you are depending on that winch to do; especially since you noted that you go out alone. It's a piece of rescue equipment that could be the difference between you pulling yourself out or walking out and having to get help! I started with a Smittybilt but upgraded to a Warn after educating myself on this site. Some things are just worth the extra money.

I wish I could offer ideas on a bumper that you could buy over there. I simply do not know where to point you. Maybe a member from overseas could offer guidance? I do remember a guy from Italy on here a couple weeks ago that asked about installing EVO sliders so I would imagine you can get that brand bumper in France as well. There a lot of guys running their 1/4 pounder. I chose one from Full Metal Fabworks as I liked the design but there are a lot of others to choose from. It will probably come down to what is available and which design you like best.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy, appreciate that!

Honestly, for the wheeling that you do your axle should be fine. There are an awful lot of guys out there with that axle and they don't have any problems with it. I wouldn't really say that the D30 is fragile, but the inner 'C's would definitely benefit from the reinforcements offered. That would be what many would consider a must-do modification. Since you don't list a lift as one of your mods I wouldn't worry about doing anything further to it.

As far as a winch is concerned, stop and think about what you are depending on that winch to do; especially since you noted that you go out alone. It's a piece of rescue equipment that could be the difference between you pulling yourself out or walking out and having to get help! I started with a Smittybilt but upgraded to a Warn after educating myself on this site. Some things are just worth the extra money.

I wish I could offer ideas on a bumper that you could buy over there. I simply do not know where to point you. Maybe a member from overseas could offer guidance? I do remember a guy from Italy on here a couple weeks ago that asked about installing EVO sliders so I would imagine you can get that brand bumper in France as well. There a lot of guys running their 1/4 pounder. I chose one from Full Metal Fabworks as I liked the design but there are a lot of others to choose from. It will probably come down to what is available and which design you like best.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback !

No reinforcement then. And I'm happy with that ! I can't lift up my Jeep. My garage is not high enough....

I got the point for the winch. But did your Smittybilt failed you ? To be honnest, I'm not even sure that I will use mine. I do understand that if I need it, I'll be glad to have a Warn because it won't fail me. But if I use mine one or two times, I thought that another brand could work ? I understood that Warn are awesome because they are hard workers. You can put the sh*t out of them anytime. But that wont be my case I hope :D

I'll have a look in the forum for bumper ideas and ask for advices :)

Thanks !
Yvan

My remote wasn't working properly. Without that remote you can't winch solo. That was enough to convince me to get the Warn. Well, that plus reading about other peoples problems and opinions on this site!

Good idea on the bumper. There are a lot of choices out there. Do lots of research first so you are sure of your choice.

Last edited:
My remote wasn't working properly. Without that remote you can't winch solo. That was enough to convince me to get the Warn. Well, that plus reading about other peoples problems and opinions on this site!

Good idea on the bumper. There are a lot of choices out there. Do lots of research first so you are sure of your choice.

Errr.... Like having a JK without the key... I'll check other topics for the winch and the front bumper !

Aussi une bonjour du votre voisins Belge :blush:

I don't now for France but in Belgium you may not have a "bullbar" type bumper: no stinger, pushbar, grillguard, tube around the lights style bumper. They will not approve this when going to the Technical Inspection .
You may have a winch bumper without the tube like a AEV Tubeless Front Bumper, Warn Elite or ARB Hoopless.

I agree it is difficult to find nice parts in Europe at a decent price.

Bonsoir
Stefan

Aussi une bonjour du votre voisins Belge :blush:

I don't now for France but in Belgium you may not have a "bullbar" type bumper: no stinger, pushbar, grillguard, tube around the lights style bumper. They will not approve this when going to the Technical Inspection .
You may have a winch bumper without the tube like a AEV Tubeless Front Bumper, Warn Elite or ARB Hoopless.

I agree it is difficult to find nice parts in Europe at a decent price.

Bonsoir
Stefan

Salut l'ami !

Yeah, in France everything's forbidden.... But I'll add a bullbar anyway. It's so nice and I want a winch so...

If you want, there is a website that I can send you which as good prices. Just send me a PM as I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it on the forum.

Cheers,
Yvan

Top Bottom