6 Speed gearbox rattle

rich67

Caught the Bug
13 Wrangler 6 speed. Clutch and all related parts replaced about 2000 miles ago. Starter replaced 1000 miles ago. This rattle started up about 200 miles ago. Jeep shifts fine, no problems going into gear, shifter feels solid with no extra play (more than expected from a Jeep, anyway). Noise comes and goes- sometimes it will be quiet as a mouse, then when you start the Jeep up after its been sitting for a couple hours I get this.
Almost sounds like loose linkages, but I am not sure if the sound is traveling and resonating INTO the gearbox area from somewhere else. It's noisy outside the Jeep also. Not RPM or gear dependent. Makes the noise in gear, out of gear, clutch in/out...etc. Seems worse after going through water.
This is not the typical 6 speed rattle- I had that for a long time when the Jeep was new, and it sounded like dice rattling around in a tin can. This sounds like metal rattling around and striking more metal. Thank for looking/listening. Any direction I can get would be good.
No CEL codes except for the typical EVAP small leak, knock sensor circuit, and speed control sensor codes that I clear.

Loose transfer case chain or something else t- case related I’ve seen the atlas shifters shake when the drive flanges are loose

I’m sure it’s the transfer case now. Went out wheeling and shifted into 4 hi no issue. Started rolling and there was a really loud metallic clack as the wheels started rolling. Shifted back into 2wd and the noise persisted and the Jeep stayed in 4 hi- even though the light on the dash was off. Had to go in reverse to get it to disengage and the noise went away. Headed to the shop Monday.

Turns out the front driveshaft and CV are shot. Mechanic is going to also check the transfer case while they are doing the work.

Top Bottom