Who actually work on their jeep?

Jeepin989

I haven’t been on here much I am in the process of restoring my 98tj. And because I am rebuilding a 4.0 instead of doing a ls or diesel swap. I have caught a lot of flack. I am doing all the work with my friends and having a great time. We ran the numbers and for us to do the work it was the best option for me in my situations to rebuild a 4.0. Yeah sure if i had money to pay someone else to do all the work i would definitely put a diesel. But I am learning things about my jeep I am taking every bolt off and putting them all on again. And now i know my jeep inside and out. Just my rant i guess if you don’t do the work yourself it’s fine i get it I am fortunate to have great friends who are helping me. So who all does their own work and let’s see it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

There’s plenty of people that do their own work. I would say that most do. That’s great you are rebuilding your 4.0. I’ve done one before and it’s a pretty straightforward build and I learned plenty doing it. I think some jump on the LS/Diesel bandwagon easily with no intention to do it or have the funds of their own to do it. Just read through the build threads and you will see plenty of creative and talented people here.

I do all of my own work on all of my vehicles. I have zero trust for anyone (except my friends) wrenching on my jeep. It just about killed me having to bring it in to the dealer for an airbag recall. The 4.0 is a great motor. It's tried and true and I think every true Jeeper knows it. Don't feel inferior for rebuilding it.

I’m under the belief 99% of the mechanics out there don’t give a shit when working on someone else’s vehicle, it’s just a means to a paycheck. I do all my own wrenching within my means short of having to bring it into the dealer. What really pisses me off is getting your vehicle back and there are greasy fingerprints all over the place.

Even when I have or don't have the time or money, I prefer working on my own just because I know what was done to it. If I make a mistake, I can catch it right then and correct it or ignore it, but at least I know I did it. I worked in shops for a long time and saw a lot of stuff covered up, misdiagnosis, and tech's that generally didn't care because it wasn't their car.

The old AMC straight 6 is a damn good engine. They have their quirks but a fix has been developed for all of them.
Some things to consider: the exhaust manifold- a new style with flexers was developed to prevent cracks, stay away from expensive headers. You have a Tier 1 emissions 4.0, find an intake manifold from 2002 (?) or newer, they're factory ported and polished. Use high end gaskets for your build, especially the valve cover and rear main.
4.0's are awesome. Wish my JK had one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used to do most work on CJs and TJ including heavy work. I have a good friend who owns an established 4WD shop and he does most of the heavy work (axle assembly install, gear swap, PSC install, etc) on my JK now. I still fiddle with the minor projects (armor, wheels and tires, fluid changes, air compressor install, CB install, etc).

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good luck on the rebuild of the 4.0!

I too do my own work on my Jeeps. There are some things over my pay grade, (4.88 install on my JKUR), for example. Took it to a reputable drive train shop in the Chicagoland area. they did the job, Picked it up on a Friday @ 4pm. By the time I got home, i was hearing a clunk everytime I had to brake. It progressively got worse. Come to find out, they only hand tightened the caliper bolts on my passenger side. Man was I pissed!!! It's hard to trust other people, even when they're the pros. That's why I try to do what I can on my own Jeeps, when I am able too.

I haven’t been on here much I am in the process of restoring my 98tj. And because I am rebuilding a 4.0 instead of doing a ls or diesel swap. I have caught a lot of flack. I am doing all the work with my friends and having a great time. We ran the numbers and for us to do the work it was the best option for me in my situations to rebuild a 4.0. Yeah sure if i had money to pay someone else to do all the work i would definitely put a diesel. But I am learning things about my jeep I am taking every bolt off and putting them all on again. And now i know my jeep inside and out. Just my rant i guess if you don’t do the work yourself it’s fine i get it I am fortunate to have great friends who are helping me. So who all does their own work and let’s see it!

You won’t hear flack from me, about rebuilding that straight 6. If I could do that myself, you bet I would.

The only thing I didn’t do myself was mount and balance my tires. Everything else I did, including PR44 install, ring and pinion swap, PSC install, lift install, rubicrawler install, hydraulic winch install, sliders, bumpers, etc., etc.

I do all of my own work as well. Haven’t had to rebuild any engines yet but it’s on my list of things I would love to do if I had time. I’ve always wanted to restore and old TJ and turn it into a Rock Crawler.

I do all maintenance items and mods when time and patiences allow. There's no better lesson in life and satisfaction then doing it yourself and w buds. 2013 JKU.

Anything I'm able to do myself I do. It's my favorite hobby. I'm lucky my dad and I did the work to my first Jeep together, now I get to work on my new one with my little girl.

Sent from my SM-J727V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I do most of the work myself on all my vehicles, as much as I can with the tools available to me. When I got my '90 YJ in '05, I knew how to change the oil and that was it. That didn't stop me from tearing it down to the frame to rebuild it. And like you said, I know that Jeep inside and out. Now I'm doing with my '82 Scrambler.

And to me, the V8 or diesel swaps are overrated. I rebuilt my '90 YJ's 4.2 twice and finally swapped in a 4.0 last winter. I caught flack for all 3 projects from friends because I didn't put a V8 in. For the wheeling I do, the inline 6 is fine. The '93 4.0 I swapped in actually has more power than the AMC 304 V8 that's in my Scrambler.

Now my wife's JK V6, that's another story. As soon as the wife hands that Jeep over to me that engine is history and in goes the V8. The 3.8 is junk compared to the 4.0.

I do all of my own work on all of my vehicles. I have zero trust for anyone (except my friends) wrenching on my jeep. It just about killed me having to bring it in to the dealer for an airbag recall. The 4.0 is a great motor. It's tried and true and I think every true Jeeper knows it. Don't feel inferior for rebuilding it.

Exactly how I feel with all mine. Id feel a hell of a lot better if I could get my own drb III 😁

aka cavfighter

Top Bottom