What should my first mod be?

BillyGoatt

I recently bought a 2004 TJ Sahara, and I was wondering what mod I should save up for first that wouldn't make it hard to drive as a daily driver.

In my opinion, a great first mod and one you can't go wrong with is a set of Truck-Lite LEDs or comparable headlights. The stock Jeep headlights are almost unsafe, and these make a great easy upgrade for a daily driver.

From my point of view if your wanting to get out wheeling a lift is the best way to start and get a good set of tires that will be good off-road and on road for the daily commute. I started with a 4" short arm kit and went to a Mickey Thompson 35" tire. And I found it was great off road and on. Then as you get out and see how it performs and what kind of wheeling you'll actually be doing then yes upgrade the armour on it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely be upgrading the headlights, and will probably get a lift at some point. Are skid plates to protect the bottom of the Jeep from rocks?

I would probably go with bumpers with good recovery points. If you get stuck then you need something solid for another vehicle to pull you from until you can get a winch. The jeep is already very capable so wheel it and find the limits and upgrade as necessary. That's how you can determine size of tires and lift you want for the type of wheeling you're going to do.

In my opinion, a great first mod and one you can't go wrong with is a set of Truck-Lite LEDs or comparable headlights. The stock Jeep headlights are almost unsafe, and these make a great easy upgrade for a daily driver.

I second this. I had a TJ for a while and driving at night was very stressful at times, especially down any unlit back roads.

Ok I second this one. My last JK was an auto and I burnt the transmission to hell. $100+- for a cooler now saves you $3000+ down the road.

This is also a good suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't put one on my JK when I first got it and my transmission exploded from normal road use.

My goal is to use it as my daily driver with a some off-roading every once in a while.

next question is what is your budget ;) My recommendation with the goal of keeping it as a daily driver would be to shoot for 33" tires max, and going with a coil spacer and 1" body lift will do the trick for moderate off-road driving. On the list next of mods is add rocker guards as that is the most vulnerable spot on the TJ and once the tub bends it is a pain in the ass to massage back.

the reason I would go with a 2" coil spacer and 1 " bl is to keep within budget without altering your current handling characteristics, and not having to deal with a slip yoke eliminator and rear CV shaft etc.

Good luck and have fun!

I recently bought a 2004 TJ Sahara, and I was wondering what mod I should save up for first that wouldn't make it hard to drive as a daily driver.
This may come across as snarky so please don't take it this way.

Your first mod should be trail dirt on your tires. Go out and take your Jeep off road. You may find out very quickly what your first mod should be based on practical experience. You may end up finding you hate playing on rocks, but enjoy overlanding. You may find that side hills aren't your thing, but river crossings give you a reason to live. Don't run out and buy a snorkel or a 50" light bar right away. Grab a few local guys or go to the next WAL forum get together, hit a trail, and see what you want your Jeep to do.

This may come across as snarky so please don't take it this way.

Your first mod should be trail dirt on your tires. Go out and take your Jeep off road. You may find out very quickly what your first mod should be based on practical experience. You may end up finding you hate playing on rocks, but enjoy overlanding. You may find that side hills aren't your thing, but river crossings give you a reason to live. Don't run out and buy a snorkel or a 50" light bar right away. Grab a few local guys or go to the next WAL forum get together, hit a trail, and see what you want your Jeep to do.

That is great advice! We all get caught up in our builds and forget what we bought the Jeeps for to being with.

So I would say .... Post a pic so we can see where you are so we know where you need to go.... Pictures are the fun part!!

Top Bottom