What "Class" is a stock JKUR Receiver Hitch?

sm31

I'm assuming it's a Class 3 since it's a 2" but I'm having trouble finding information to confirm (renting a trailer and they require proof). Is there a good online resource where I can show them that this is indeed a Class 3? Thanks!

I'm assuming it's a Class 3 since it's a 2" but I'm having trouble finding information to confirm (renting a trailer and they require proof). Is there a good online resource where I can show them that this is indeed a Class 3? Thanks!
Not in the owners manual?

Think it’s a class II since tow cap is 3500#

Not in the owners manual?

Think it’s a class II since tow cap is 3500#

I'm wondering if I'm missing one of the manuals... the "Users Guide" has a graph showing GVWR, tongue weight, max capacity, etc. (mine is a JKUR) but no mention of the hitch class. A class 2 hitch maxes out at 3500 lbs according to what I've looked up, so not much help either.

Hoping it is a class 3 since that's what I need for the trailer I'm picking up... but I won't be anywhere near the weight limit since I'm just hauling brush and trash.

Depending where you're renting from, if they have charts or look at your door sticker they may not rent to you. Liability thing for them.

Just looked it up because I thought it sounded wrong, Class II is good for 3500, Class III is good for 5000.

** Class II is available in either 1-1/4" or 2".

I'm wondering if I'm missing one of the manuals... the "Users Guide" has a graph showing GVWR, tongue weight, max capacity, etc. (mine is a JKUR) but no mention of the hitch class. A class 2 hitch maxes out at 3500 lbs according to what I've looked up, so not much help either.

Hoping it is a class 3 since that's what I need for the trailer I'm picking up... but I won't be anywhere near the weight limit since I'm just hauling brush and trash.
Maybe you need to find a lighter trailer. My 2 door JL only handles something like 2000 pounds, but I bought an aluminum trailer (weighs something like 850 pounds) so I have plenty of remaining capacity to haul brush.

Bummer! I didn't know a class 2 came in 2"... It's just a U-haul 5 x 8 flatbed so I guess we'll see what they tell me.

Edit: max load on that trailer is only 1800... 🤞

No telling what U-Haul (or the police) will require, but obviously you are in control of what you put on the trailer, and brush is usually not very dense.

Bummer! I didn't know a class 2 came in 2"... It's just a U-haul 5 x 8 flatbed so I guess we'll see what they tell me.

Edit: max load on that trailer is only 1800... 🤞
I've rented many 5x8 trailers using my JKU hardtop.
the 2x1 receiver ball has the weight rating stamped on it (6000#) and what I've used as proof.

Quick update: U-Haul had no problem with my jeep (and hard top). The 5x8 trailer I rented had a 1800 lb load limit... given the type of junk I loaded it with, I was pretty surprised to learn that one of my loads was nearly 1500 lbs. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well my old 3.8L JKUR on 35's pulled the load.

Thanks again for the comments & advice!

Top Bottom