Upcoming trip.

Jackboeker83

My buddy and I are probably going to take a road trip from Houston to South Colorado (Alpine Loop area) and do some camping/trails along the way. One place I have heard of that is in Texas and along the way is Palo Duro Canyon but I can't find any known trails online. If anyone has been along the route we will more than likely take (google maps) and has a place we should check out let me know. We have been to the Alpine loop area before so we are pretty familiar with that area but still open to suggestions. We are hoping to hit certain spots on the way to Colorado and take a different route back to see different trails and camp spots. Open to suggestions in Texas, South Colorado and North New Mexico.

Merus Adventure Park is in Palo Duro Canyon. This requires paying to get in and you may need a reservation.

There is a trail system in New Mexico (National Forest Land) if you pass through Lincoln in Lincoln County on highway 380. I know the entrance to it but have not driven the trails. Given the terrain, it looks interesting.

Getting out of Texas takes like forever and much of it is pretty bleak. Things will finally seem nicer if you can get into nice western scenery.

Yep, I knew this was an issue when I moved here but... it just makes the destination that much better. IMO you cant beat southern Colorado for views and camping, its just a pain getting there from Houston.

Where are you planning to end up in Colorado?
Are you planning to go through part of New Mexico?

I can tell you that the mountains up the canyon from Pecos, NM (e.g the area near Cowles) are first class. Good campgrounds there. We spent a few nights in a wonderful cabin a couple of hundred feet from the Pecos River (which ran across the property).

Check out Rim Rocker Trail which runs from Colorado to Moab. Good excuse for hitting up Moab.
So we did the rim rocker trail last year from Moab to Telluride. We haven’t planned a route yet because we are still doing research. We didn’t get to do Black bear kr Imogene pass last year due to snow so we will attempt it this year. We spent two weeks going all over Moab, south and north Colorado. We want o spend more time in south Colorado. The alpine loop has so much to offer and the weather is amazing.

My buddy and I are probably going to take a road trip from Houston to South Colorado (Alpine Loop area) and do some camping/trails along the way. One place I have heard of that is in Texas and along the way is Palo Duro Canyon but I can't find any known trails online. If anyone has been along the route we will more than likely take (google maps) and has a place we should check out let me know. We have been to the Alpine loop area before so we are pretty familiar with that area but still open to suggestions. We are hoping to hit certain spots on the way to Colorado and take a different route back to see different trails and camp spots. Open to suggestions in Texas, South Colorado and North New Mexico.
as you've discovered, there is nothing in Texas that you can access at spur of the moment nor without a fee.
My knowledge is Palo Duro offroad trails are accessible via Merus or https://www.jeepexclusive.org/, they run the Palo Duro Challange.
I'd look ahead and plan one of the Palo Duro Challange events, it's pretty fun but if you have allergies, prepare, Rocky Mt Juniper and sage everywhere...

Palo Duro State Park has camping sites and the only offroad trails are biking or hiking but the drive thru from end to end isn't bad, short drive but lots to see and there are camping sites.

Top Bottom