Synergy Control Arms?

4PLAY

Caught the Bug
Anyone using Synergy control arms on their JL's care to chime in on durability? Looking for adjustable control arms for my '24 JLR-X and I like the idea of making adjustments without having to remove one end of the control arm to do so. Also that with Synergy you can 'fine tune' adjustments, such as making small adjustments in caster to correct a slight drift if needed. I am also not really a fan of jam nuts... Mostly concerned with the durability of the adjustable pinch sleeves...when installed and adjusted correctly! We all know anything can be screwed up by idiots!

There is no such thing as making "fine tune adjustments to caster" (cross caster) on a solid front axle. Anyone who will try and tell you otherwise is not someone you should listen to. The most you will do is put your bushings and axle in a state of significant bind and that WILL lead to premature wear of your bushing or worse, a break in your axle. BOTH are things I have personally seen.

That said, ANY control arm that uses pinch sleeves can and will experience the following problem. Specifically, IF you do not line up the pinch collar with the pinch sleeve, it will NOT hold as well as it would otherwise and more times than not, they WILL loose up and allow for rotation. I have personally seen this on multiple control arms, track bars and drag links including those made by Synergy.

It is for this reason that I have mixed opinions about pinch sleeves but I would also be the first to say that jam nuts can kind of suck too.

Last edited:
Everything is the same from the steering components to the suspension components, so I'll answer.

I've had the steering components for 3 years. No issues with bushings or adjuster sleeves. The only problem I had I just found out about, their steering stabilizer relocation bolt that goes through the track bar on the axle end seized to the inner sleeve of the bushing. Had to cut the bolt out.
New bolt got anti-seized very well to compensate for that. ( I live in Indiana, we get winter, we use salt and chemicals on the roads).

Installed and adjusted correctly means just that. Synergy specifies how much thread can be exposed. They specify torque values. They specify the slot in the double adjuster sleeve be lined up with, not across, the pinch bolt opening.

There is no such thing as making "fine tune adjustments to caster" (cross caster) on a solid front axle. Anyone who will try and tell you otherwise is not someone you should listen to. The most you will do is put your bushings and axle in a state of significant bind and that WILL lead to premature wear of your bushing or worse, a break in your axle. BOTH are things I have personally seen.

That said, ANY control arm that uses pinch sleeves can and will experience the following problem. Specifically, IF you do not line up the pinch collar with the pinch sleeve, it will NOT hold as well as it would otherwise and more times than not, they WILL loose up and allow for rotation. I have personally seen this on multiple control arms, track bars and drag links including those made by Synergy.

It is for this reason that I have mixed opinions about pinch sleeves but I would also be the first to say that jam nuts can kind of suck too.

Thanks for your response! I have a complete set of Teraflex Alpine IR arms on my '20 JLR and overall happy with them, no problems with the adjuster sleeves but there is some slop in the left lower axle side bushing and will address this before I sell her. The Synergy looked like a good option and thought I would give them a try...If I didn't hate jam nuts so much I would have looked at MC or RK...

Everything is the same from the steering components to the suspension components, so I'll answer.

I've had the steering components for 3 years. No issues with bushings or adjuster sleeves. The only problem I had I just found out about, their steering stabilizer relocation bolt that goes through the track bar on the axle end seized to the inner sleeve of the bushing. Had to cut the bolt out.
New bolt got anti-seized very well to compensate for that. ( I live in Indiana, we get winter, we use salt and chemicals on the roads).

Installed and adjusted correctly means just that. Synergy specifies how much thread can be exposed. They specify torque values. They specify the slot in the double adjuster sleeve be lined up with, not across, the pinch bolt opening.

Thanks for the feedback! I am used to the adjuster / pinch sleeve of the Teraflex Alpine IR and have had zero issues with these. Thought Synergy would be a good option for me as MC and RK use those damn jan nuts...

From my own experience I will 2nd what Eddie said about the pinch bolts. The ability to adjust them w/out removing is convenient but you will need to line up the pinch slots on the sleeves. I have also gone through several of the bushings which I replaced with Johnny joints after replacing them multiple times. The JJ’s have been much more durable. Currently I have replaced the front lowers with Core 4x4 arms after damaging the fixed end too much to just replace the bushings. I have had no issue with the jamb nuts on them. Set them and forget them. The rest of my control arms are still Synergy.

Avoid pinch sleeves. Water and gunk gets in there and seizes up the threads. When that happens, trying to loosen them up to make adjustments without destroying the sleeves is almost impossible. I'd much rather deal with jam nuts.

However, if you're selling the Jeep, you won't have to deal with that problem.

Avoid pinch sleeves. Water and gunk gets in there and seizes up the threads. When that happens, trying to loosen them up to make adjustments without destroying the sleeves is almost impossible. I'd much rather deal with jam nuts.

However, if you're selling the Jeep, you won't have to deal with that problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Selling the '20 that has Teraflex Alpine IR arms, only issue is I need to replace the drivers side rear lower axle side control arm bushing as it has some slop to it-all others fine.

The new control arms are for my '24 JLR-X...

From my own experience I will 2nd what Eddie said about the pinch bolts. The ability to adjust them w/out removing is convenient but you will need to line up the pinch slots on the sleeves. I have also gone through several of the bushings which I replaced with Johnny joints after replacing them multiple times. The JJ’s have been much more durable. Currently I have replaced the front lowers with Core 4x4 arms after damaging the fixed end too much to just replace the bushings. I have had no issue with the jamb nuts on them. Set them and forget them. The rest of my control arms are still Synergy.

How long have you had the Synergy arms?

Thanks for your response! I have a complete set of Teraflex Alpine IR arms on my '20 JLR and overall happy with them, no problems with the adjuster sleeves but there is some slop in the left lower axle side bushing and will address this before I sell her. The Synergy looked like a good option and thought I would give them a try...If I didn't hate jam nuts so much I would have looked at MC or RK...
Me personally, I prefer Johnny Joints but of the control arms you've mentioned, Synergy is what I choose to use over MC or RK in any case.

Top Bottom