Stop/Start Memory State

JamesWyatt

Caught the Bug
I don't know zip tie about electronics and wiring, so forgive me if this is a completely stupid idea. Could the wires to the Stop/Start switch be rerouted to an open Aux switch since the Aux switches can be set to remember the last state?

[edited 6/8 to change thread title]

Last edited:
What's your purpose in doing this? If you want it to turn off permanently, a Tazer will do that.
I did use a Tazer with my previous JT and am currently using JScan with my JL. I was just curious if it was possible since I’m not someone who will ever use all four Aux switches, maybe one or two max.

Speaking of the Tazer, it drove me batty trying to get the tire size to take on my JT. I’m sure it was user error, but by the time I finally got it to work, I never wanted to own it again. JScan is so easy, just change the setting on my phone and hit the go button. No steering wheel button BS, no waiting for X-seconds then having to reboot the vehicle, and no worries about having to unmarry the device before being serviced at a dealer.

What he said. I wouldn't want to lose an AUX switch over that. A Tazer is worth the investment for all the other things you can do with it IMO.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the weirder it seems to use the Aux for that. But I still wonder if it would work.

Last edited:
If your using jscan is this not an option?

View attachment 408189
I need to read up on what the latest is. I’ve read some mixed reviews.

I think the product below might be close to the Aux concept but by using a module to push the Stop/Start button at every startup. Just bought one, I’ll see if it works when it shows up.

Last edited:
You could just reach over and push the button. It is not difficult at all!

People have become so fat and lazy these days that even pushing a button once per trip is too much.

Jeeps used to come with a manual choke which was far more difficult to deal with than this!

You could just reach over and push the button. It is not difficult at all!

People have become so fat and lazy these days that even pushing a button once per trip is too much.

Jeeps used to come with a manual choke which was far more difficult to deal with than this!

You must be offering to sit in the passenger seat and push the button for me every time :LOL:

The choke was so you could physically start the engine. It was required not mandated. Not even the same thing. The aggravating part isn't even the button so much as the fact that they don't allow the button state be remembered. And then there's the shitty reliability of the aux battery and aux battery system...

You must be offering to sit in the passenger seat and push the button for me every time :LOL:

The choke was so you could physically start the engine. It was required not mandated. Not even the same thing. The aggravating part isn't even the button so much as the fact that they don't allow the button state be remembered. And then there's the shitty reliability of the aux battery and aux battery system...
The new electric jeep has none of these issues. I suggest that you buy one of those!

I did one of those hacks people post on youtube. Disconnect the start/stop fuse and disconnect the aux battery. I've been running the Jeep like this for the past 8 months and so far, no engine light or have any issues.

This hack is more for deleting the auxilary battery if. It just happens to disable the auto start/stop

I did one of those hacks people post on youtube. Disconnect the start/stop fuse and disconnect the aux battery. I've been running the Jeep like this for the past 8 months and so far, no engine light or have any issues.

This hack is more for deleting the auxilary battery if. It just happens to disable the auto start/stop
I’ve read the only downside is that disables all smart charging designed to maximize battery life. You’ll be operating with the alternator giving the full charge all the time. I don’t think there are any reliable reports out there about how much extra life the smart charging provides, though.

I’ve read the only downside is that disables all smart charging designed to maximize battery life. You’ll be operating with the alternator giving the full charge all the time. I don’t think there are any reliable reports out there about how much extra life the smart charging provides, though.
That smart charging design isn't working too well for me. At around 3 years and around 15k miles I already had to replace both batteries. And now my aux battery has gone dead again after only around 10k miles. Maybe I don't drive my Jeep enough.

That smart charging design isn't working too well for me. At around 3 years and around 15k miles I already had to replace both batteries. And now my aux battery has gone dead again after only around 10k miles. Maybe I don't drive my Jeep enough.
I had two previous JLs that required an aux battery replacement under warranty at or before the one year mark. They both threw warning lights but thankfully didn’t leave me stranded at a stop light or on the side of the road as they have some folks. And my ‘23 JT had to have a new main battery the first week I owned it. Service advisor said the mechanic said the main was so low they were surprised it was starting the vehicle at all. So yeah, I think these batteries end up needing to be replaced long before any benefits of smart charging would show up. Maybe the smart charging could prolong alternator life, but that’s just an uneducated guess on my part.

Reactions: DMF
Use a good quality battery tender if you don't drive enough. This keeps the batteries more healthy and well charged.

Follow up. The "Smart StopStart" product arrived today. Took about two minutes to install. Works perfectly. It remembers the last state of the stop/start button and sets it accordingly at the next startup. If I need to take the vehicle in for service, I just remove the physical Smart StopStart module cable and replug in the factory cable.

Having owned a Tazer Mini for my JT, I think this combination of JScan for TPMS, etc. and Smart StopStart will work better for me. I don't like the Tazer marry/unmarry process. I don't like using the steering wheel controls to change the settings. And I don't like its reboot + sleep cycles process just to get new settings to get recorded to the vehicle (which sometimes fails requiring I do it all over again). JScan – just change the setting in the app and hit the Go button. Done. And with the Tazer, what if the vehicle dies and won't restart and has to be towed in for service? No way to unmarry it, so if the dealer updates the vehicle software, the Tazer becomes useless. Likely Z Automotive could assist with a firmware reset to "new", but IDK.

IMG_1698.jpg

Helpful hint anytime you're removing the factory security module plugs: loop a string or zip tie over the wiring harness close up to the plug. Then you can use one hand on the loop ends to pull downward on the plug while the other hand up in there pushing the release tab. Pops right out with no cursing required.

Use a good quality battery tender if you don't drive enough. This keeps the batteries more healthy and well charged.
Yep, did that too. During covid, I invested in some pretty good quality ones and kept our cars on the charger. Wife's car had no issues with the same battery tender.

Top Bottom