Recalibration for larger tires.

NorthCountry

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the thread. I went from a 245/70R17 tire to a 255/80R17 on my 2023 Gladiator Sport. I was wondering if I should have the dealership recalibrate for the step up in tire size, and if one tire size is even worth the $145.00 dollar charge. I don't mind the cost if need be, just prefer the dealer not talk me into something I don't need.
Thank you and safe travels.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the thread. I went from a 245/70R17 tire to a 255/80R17 on my 2023 Gladiator Sport. I was wondering if I should have the dealership recalibrate for the step up in tire size, and if one tire size is even worth the $145.00 dollar charge. I don't mind the cost if need be, just prefer the dealer not talk me into something I don't need.
It’s a good idea to recalibrate even with the small upsize if only to keep your speedometer reading correctly and to help with proper shifting. Of course, you can always do this yourself with something like a JScan for less.

Upvote 0

I think I'd save the $145 and do it myself with a tazer or jscan.

Upvote 0
It’s a good idea to recalibrate even with the small upsize if only to keep your speedometer reading correctly and to help with proper shifting. Of course, you can always do this yourself with something like a JScan for less.
Thank you for your response. I'm not too familiar with the JScan and other calibration style instrumentation. Since it was the dealership that sold and mounted the tires, I'll let them do it. I don't mind paying as long as the Jeep gets what it needs. I can crank the wrenches but I'm not too sure when it comes to all the new technology. Thanks again and safe travels.

Upvote 0
Tazer requires no app. You can do it right on your cluster. Really easy. And you can do a lot more with it too including turning off the auto start/stop.

Upvote 0
Tazer requires no app. You can do it right on your cluster. Really easy. And you can do a lot more with it too including turning off the auto start/stop.
The dreaded auto start /stop function. That's worth $145.00 alone..lol Thanks I'll look into it more.

Upvote 0
It is my understanding that the dealership does it via the factory so the modification is signed and should survive resets, etc. So there is an advantage if it is more than fine tuning.
Not really. It's better to have your own scanner. The ability to read codes for troubleshooting is priceless. If a factory update changes changes your tire & gear settings, it's simple to reset them.

Upvote 0
The Jscan changes you make survive battery resets as far as I know. I had a setting for my headlights to always be on (I think for Canada DRL rules, mine was a ex-fleet veh.)....finally got Jscan and was able to turn it off. Not to mention countless p-code resets when I had a upper manifold leak before I bit the bullet and took an afternoon and changed the gasket. Since then I've pulled the negative battery cable sometimes to work on the Jeep and the Jscan changes have remained.

Upvote 0
The Jscan changes you make survive battery resets as far as I know. I had a setting for my headlights to always be on (I think for Canada DRL rules, mine was a ex-fleet veh.)....finally got Jscan and was able to turn it off. Not to mention countless p-code resets when I had a upper manifold leak before I bit the bullet and took an afternoon and changed the gasket. Since then I've pulled the negative battery cable sometimes to work on the Jeep and the Jscan changes have remained.
I meant resets to factory settings in prep for dealer service. Eddie says that custom settings should be removed if the Jeep is going in for service (e.g. engine service) since modified settings can confuse the process, or result in claims that the warranty is void due to modifications.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom