Rear JT lunchbox locker?

I'm wanting to add a lunchbox locker for the rear of the JT. Anyone have a line on a manufacturer? No, I can't afford a full carrier swap out and I've only seen a torqmaster for the front in the JT. (WHY only the front?? grrrrrr) Since these Dana "44s" are different, I thought I'd have seen one by now.

Last edited:
Your only option for a limited slip for your rear D44 (M220) is an EATON Detroit TruTrac, part#917A736. These operate much smoother since they use worm style gears

As mentioned, saving up for a selectable locker really is your best bet.

The plan is to put a selectable in the front (and I'm thinking about not even doing it). I already did the re-gear (4.56) and lockers thing in my XJ. I've no desire to go bigger than 35s and a rear locker on the gladiator. I'd just like something for the occasional snow covered road and the snot-slick red dirt road. I've got my off-road toy in the XJ and my mild farm field pickup. There's no rock crawling or mud pits in this Gladiator's future.

If I'm not re-gearing, is it even worth paying for the whole thing getting ripped out and the set-up for a new carrier? My 315/70/R17s are good with the current stock gearing.

I guess it’s personal preference but I would recommend you do the opposite, a selectable locker in the rear and limited slip up front.

You can tech change the carrier and reset your current gears but of course it’s not ideal since they have already meshed. Changing the carrier will likely change the setup specs slightly, mainly backlash, so that will have to be adjusted.

But sounds like you are still undecided on exactly what you want to do. If you have found yourself in situations where you needed a locker, than that’s an easy answer to me.

I guess it’s personal preference but I would recommend you do the opposite, a selectable locker in the rear and limited slip up front.

You can tech change the carrier and reset your current gears but of course it’s not ideal since they have already meshed. Changing the carrier will likely change the setup specs slightly, mainly backlash, so that will have to be adjusted.

But sounds like you are still undecided on exactly what you want to do. If you have found yourself in situations where you needed a locker, than that’s an easy answer to me.
Personally, I prefer being able to unlock the front on command due to steering. Nothing worse than backing down a steep and slick incline even for a couple feet trying to get the front LSD to unlock. I don't plan on doing anything in the Gladiator that's hard core. No rock crawling or mud bogging. I use it 80-90% daily commuting and the rest is work in hay fields and some forest/fire roads during hunting season and camping. I'm no overlander but I do camp with it. With my stated daily use. I really don't have an excuse to lock the front at all. Especially since I'm not re-gearing

I dunno, having run a lunchbox locker on the rear of my TJ, I can tell you that I would rather have a TruTrac there especially for snow. A selectable locker is always the best for the rear on slick icy conditions so that you can keep it open. But then, that's just me.

You guys are right, sorry if it seems like I'm saying otherwise. My issue is paying the extra $500 to $1000 to have someone install a new carrier and set the gears up. Without re-gearing, I'm having a hard time justifying it... I'd love to run 37s but that would be purely for looks. And 37s is the only reason I'd re-gear and at that point I'm as bad as a mall crawler running 40s on 24 inch rims. And to be honest, I'm too old to be changing 37s or bigger

Top Bottom