Problem with Tekton Impact Sockets

The BAD Influence

I've got an M18 Milwaukee impact. If I use my Tekton sockets, they are very difficult to put on the drive, and impossible to get off. The only way to get them off is to use a thin nail set to push the bb down while prying against the socket with a flat head screw driver. At first I thought the spring under the bb on my gun was too strong, but recently used my buddy's craftsman sockets, and slid right on, held in place, then popped off when needed. Looking at the hole in the sockets, looks like the craftsman have a slope to allow the bb to slide then push in. The tekton looks like it's just a simple hole that's been drilled into the socket. Thus not allowing the bb to push the spring down.
Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:
I use the DeWalt 20v impact with the Tekton sockets and have no issues at all, I'll look at my sockets later to see what the detent spot looks like.

There’s two type of retaining systems for so let’s Snap ring and push pins. Sounds like you have a push pin. It’ll wear in and get easier eventually. It’s not the sockets fault. Rotate the socket so it doesn’t go in the hole if it’s that big a deal

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Give it time and they will wear in. When you use a socket enough it will wear down and be easy to slide on and off. I use a 22 and a 19 at work everyday on my impact gun and they basically fall off after the last few years of use.

Give it time and they will wear in. When you use a socket enough it will wear down and be easy to slide on and off. I use a 22 and a 19 at work everyday on my impact gun and they basically fall off after the last few years of use.

There’s two type of retaining systems for so let’s Snap ring and push pins. Sounds like you have a push pin. It’ll wear in and get easier eventually. It’s not the sockets fault. Rotate the socket so it doesn’t go in the hole if it’s that big a deal

So you’re saying the more you push it in and out the looser it will get? hmmm

I thought it worked better if it went in the hole?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The detent pin will engage in the hole yea. That’s how it’s designed but he’s saying it gets stuck. So until the detent pin wears then don’t line it up.
Also personal preference I like the snap ring nose anvil better, you’ll find most tools have both options.

The detent pin will engage in the hole yea. That’s how it’s designed but he’s saying it gets stuck. So until the detent pin wears then don’t line it up.
Also personal preference I like the snap ring nose anvil better, you’ll find most tools have both options.

I guess my attempt at humor failed...haha.

So you’re saying the more you push it in and out the looser it will get? hmmm

Yea so when your done with it change it for a new model

[emoji23]

OMG. Perfect responses. But, nonetheless not helpful. I get that the bb and spring should loosen up with use, it's just a PIA. And putting the socket on turned so the bb and the hole don't line up, turns out to be harder if not impossible to get the socket on. Again, this problem only happens with my Tekton sockets. Craftsman and Harbor Freight work fine.

Ironically tekton sockets, depending which we’re taking about, are the same sockets as HF, come from the same factory. A significant amount of tekton is actually identical to harbor freight except the color is red instead of green.

Top Bottom