Ouch... A jku story

Caffine_Addict

Hello all,

A few months ago bought this beauty of a Black JKU.

6 speed
3.73s
Hardtop
Cold Weather Package

Light mods have been added such as wheel spacers, leveling 1" puck upfront, barricade front bumper and 9.5k winch with all the recovery gear to go along with it. and have enjoyed ole 6th of FSRs to date, just a dream to drive on and off road.

Fast forward to last weekend, took her out on the trails for the first time. Well that didn't go as planned... Got stuck in a deep then expected mud/water pit which was at the height of my rock rails, tried to rock it out of the deep rut that a swamper dug in with no luck. Ended up winching my self out, only to find out the mud and water got into the bellhousing and grinaded the clutch ;(((. Rookie mistake of pushing the clutch in while submurged instead of dropping it in 4lo and clutchless starting it in gear.

Unfortunately that eventful day now has me rethinking the whole off roading with a jku. Instead of dumping so much money into the jku l I have decided to save that money any put it towards a beater XJ or similar and not have to worry about distroying my DD and new vehicle. 20170608_155210.jpg20170708_125637.jpgIMG_20170710_180828_844.jpg20170708_185527.jpg

Though story. Not the first re killing or severely injuring a Jeep with deep water. Be happy you didn't suck water into your engine and hydrolock.

Forgive my ignorance (I have an automatic), but will a JK manual start without the clutch depressed?

Though story. Not the first re killing or severely injuring a Jeep with deep water. Be happy you didn't suck water into your engine and hydrolock.

Forgive my ignorance (I have an automatic), but will a JK manual start without the clutch depressed?

Yes there is no neutral safety when in 4low

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome! Sounds like you had some fun lol I also dd my JKU and have been fortunate enough to not break anything that I couldn't get home, but it's the game we play and a fun one! Break it, upgrade it, repeat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes I'm surely not the first, and yes I am extremely greatfull for that!

With a manual, only in 4Lo are you able to start it without depressing the clutch. it's designed that way to be able to starting in gear to crawl up a step rock or save the clutch in water mud situations. as I have learned this week lol

there is always a price to pay to play.

I have had to shift in muddy water up to my lower door hinges and not lost a clutch. Not the only time either. Get it home and hose it down ASAP, and as others said, learn from it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

With a manual, only in 4Lo are you able to start it without depressing the clutch. it's designed that way to be able to starting in gear to crawl up a step rock or save the clutch in water mud situations. as I have learned this week .

Got it. I used to have a willys with a v8/TH400 conversion. Unlike most automatics, it would start in gear and whether your foot was on the brake or not. One time in a parking lot I forgot to put it in park, turned the key, and the thing lurched forward and damn near drove down a 30' embankment bordering the parking lot. [emoji50]

Got it. I used to have a willys with a v8/TH400 conversion. Unlike most automatics, it would start in gear and whether your foot was on the brake or not. One time in a parking lot I forgot to put it in park, turned the key, and the thing lurched forward and damn near drove down a 30' embankment bordering the parking lot. [emoji50]
Sounds like a super pucker factor moment! I would have crapped a brick..

I worry about doing this. It's just habit to put the clutch down when you go for the shifter. I'm afraid habit will override in this type of situation.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app
in all honesty, that's exactly what happened to me. I knew about the capability of starting a jeep without the clutch pedal in and how to do it, but force of habit took over and I just didn't think about it in that situation.

in all honesty, that's exactly what happened to me. I knew about the capability of starting a jeep without the clutch pedal in and how to do it, but force of habit took over and I just didn't think about it in that situation.

The same reason I've never tried to start my auto in gear. Memories of the "lurch." [emoji23]

Top Bottom