Noob question on JL steering

Jtcrump

I’ve got a 2018 jlu Rubi and from what I can ascertain from the interwebs is that there was a tsb on the steering box. I just picked it up about 30 days ago so it’s not under any sort of warranty, but I’m a big believer in doing my own work any way.

My jeep steers fine, with no wandering, but it looks like it still has the aluminum box.

Is this something I should look into replacing before it becomes an issue or will a good steering damper or brace work to alleviate any future problems.

Thanks

It seems like some aluminum steering boxes were much worse than others. I assume that my Jeep has the aluminum box, but it still steers "fine" (within the bounds of what is normal for a properly working Jeep).

It would be good to get the price of the iron steering box, since that might influence your decision.

If you plan to do something severe, then looking at assisted steering such as from PSC is a good idea. Then the sheer strength of the box would not be much of a factor.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bob. Currently there’s very little “play” on this truck, no dead spots actually very good steering. Ive owned a few wranglers and they’ll never be rack and pinion … but good advice on looking into the iron steering box.

Based on what I’ve read it seems most of the steering issues has been taken care by now and that’s why I was surprised this one still has the aluminum box … and drives well.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bob. Currently there’s very little “play” on this truck, no dead spots actually very good steering. Ive owned a few wranglers and they’ll never be rack and pinion … but good advice on looking into the iron steering box.

Based on what I’ve read it seems most of the steering issues has been taken care by now and that’s why I was surprised this one still has the aluminum box … and drives well.
I have a 2018 with the original aluminum steering box, the TSB was a reprogram but haven't had any issues since.

I had a Synergy steering brace which I took off for the TSB and haven't felt like I need to put it back on.

If I were able to play on the trails as much as I'd like to, I'd probably put the brace back on or move to PSC assist; the JLU steering handles the beadlocks and 37's much better than the stock JKU.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom