Need help understanding tire sizing and type...for my intended use of them

Fishrising

Hi All! And yes, I have been doing some reading and re/searching prior to posting this across many forums.

What I have on: 2011 JKU Sahara with 255/70-18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires

What I have in a box: 4x Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers and a Rock Krawler JK 1.75 Budget Based L.T. System

What my intent WAS: to move to 33s when I need new rubber, which is soon...

What my reason is: so that I could gain a little more ground clearance for rutted farm and fire roads that I hunt and fish off of (haven't gotten hung up yet), to start summer weekend beach cruising, and for a more aggressive look. No intent on true rock crawling.

BUT...now I am having second thoughts about a budge lift and spacers. Trying to decide if I want to use them, or remain stock. So my questions are:

1. What size tires can I move up to without worrying about rubbing?
1a. 275/65-18 (not a change in diameter, but an increase in section width and a decrease in sidewall heigh)? I assume wider is better for sand and general off road. But what is the shorter sidewall going to do for/against me? Is a 275/65 on stock 18" wheels without spacers or lift going to rub on full turn?
1b. 265/70-18 - little taller (1/2"), little wider than stock? Is this a good compromise for no lift/level kit, no spacers, no rubbing?
1c. 275/70-18 - now up to 33? I understand that I will need both the spacers and lift to avoid rubbing, anyone's thoughts differ?

2. For a daily driver, that seconds as a weekend hunting/fishing vehicle, and summers on the beach, I do believe I want an A/T type tire versus a M/T, thoughts? And based on what I've read, I think I have narrowed it down to these, what are your thoughts on them for my intentions and what size based on what I wrote above?
2a. BFG T/A KO?
2b. Cooper Discover ATP?
2c. Falken Wild Peak A/T?
2d. General Grabber A/T2?
2e. GY Duratrac?
2f. Nitto Terra Grappler A/T?

3. At what point do I want to consider LT (or E rated) tires? No towing here other, than a 800# sailboat form time to time.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I guess my real question is how much larger of a tire can I go on stock 18" wheels before I start rubbing and need spacers / lift?

i believe the biggest you can go is a 33" tire before rubbing or with minimal rubbing

Thanks! What I'm trying to determine is, if I go 32.6 or 33.1, whether in a 265 or 275, can I get away without wheel spacers and no lift? Which it is sounding like I can. But secondly, if I install my 1.75" RK LT BB, can I still get away without wheel spacers?

Thanks! What I'm trying to determine is, if I go 32.6 or 33.1, whether in a 265 or 275, can I get away without wheel spacers and no lift? Which it is sounding like I can. But secondly, if I install my 1.75" RK LT BB, can I still get away without wheel spacers?

the wheel spacers will help eliminate rubbing at full turn so a lift will not help. since these tires are wider than stock you will need wheel spacers if your running them on the stock rim. if you choose an aftermarket rim get one with 4.5" of backspacing or less.

So if you looking for a bit more clearance between the diff and the ground then tires will be the ticket. If you want more clearance between the frame of the Jeep and the ground (break over) a lift will help

There are a few online tire difference calculators out there that will compare the tire sizes for you but this is what i see from your current to a 33"

Tire compare.jpg

Not much of a change but 1" is still 1"

I am running 285/70-17 now on a stock Rubicon suspension and the addition of the wheel spacers def helped with the rubbing during turning on the road but with a front wheel stuffed into the wheel well and turning i do get some rubbing.

35" for comparison

Some say just a bit of lift and cutting the fenders will allow for these and as you can see you will gain almost 1.5" of ground clearance compared to a little less than .5" with the 33"
Wheel spacers will keep the larger width tire away from the suspension as well

Go with 275/70R18s, none to minimal rubbing. No lift, no spacers needed. They will be load range E

Top Bottom