Maintenance time!

Tj2001

So I wanna do some fluid changes on my 01 TJ. This being my first Jeep I have a few questions as followed... 1) best type of oil/most popular and how many quarts? (Engine oil)
2) best gear oil for 5 speed manual trans and front and rear differential and how many quarts?

Please keep negative comments to yourself as I'm just trying to learn more about this vehicle after coming from a Cummins diesel...IMG_0755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oil- its a 4.0, it will run on anything. 10-30 is pretty standard depending on where you live. You can research all the synthetic vs. Dino vs. Hybrid oil all over the internet and make up your own mind.

Manual Trans fluid- Synthetic IS noticeably better. I like redline, mtl or mt 90, others like royal purple amsoil, any synthetic thats safe for bronze is good to go.

Diff fluid- 75-90w

Depending on miles,
While you're changing out fluids might as well do coolant flush as well, run a can of seafoam 1/2 in gas tank 1/2 in intake (youtube this for directions) through it and then change the plugs once its all ran through. Check brake fluid color.

Go find stu-offroad for all your fluid capacities and types, and there are some very good how to write ups here at wayalife.
Here are some quick notes from memory:
Your engine takes 6 quarts of oil, 10w30. Personally, given the flat tappet cam and endless research, I used 15w40 Shell Rotella T diesel oil for the ZDDP content. It's a wonderful topic, to be sure. Who knows, maybe it was snake oil. ;)
Your nv3550 trans, in my experience, hates royal purple. I have heard lots of good stuff about amsoil, but I always used Pennzoil Synchromesh. Most people note a bit of a catch from first to second after a while. The thought is always using the Mopar fluid pn is best to prevent that. Can't say since I didn't.
Transfer case is atf+3 (or +4)
Spark plugs-only use copper plugs or double platinum. Do not use single platinum on the coil pack (yours) ignition system in the TJ. Research that a bit too. I always used copper ones.
Don't buy a stupid oil filled k&n.
Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Also 15w is a bit much in my opinion but weather is so mild here I run 5w 30 anyways. If your going all out you could buy some uv leak fluid from any auto parts store and run it through with your oil and check for any easy to fix leaks. Wouldn't hurt to do all around checks as well. Ball joints, lug torque, air filter, and signal bulbs all around.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom