Let’s talk Carson City

Aceisback

Hooked
Carson City is on our short list of places to retire to and I’m looking for some feedback from those that live there, or near there.
My main concern is health care, being a disabled Veteran I would like to have some good VA care available, not like Phoenix whatsoever. I’m fully retired and extremely adaptable so I can always find something to occupy my time.
My wife is a retired Special Ed teacher but has gone back to work because there was a position available at the school our granddaughter goes to.

Curious if anyone does real estate or has family members that do. We don’t need a ranch but would like a small property that possibly has two homes on it. I’ll spare all the gory details but I currently pay two mortgages, and an additional car payment on top of my own two, to ensure that my granddaughter can have a decent childhood.
We definitely prefer some trees in the yard, and don’t particularly want to be in a neighborhood if that type of information helps.

So how harsh are the winters, and summers? Not wanting mid 120’s like we had in 29 Palms and not wanting brutally cold long drawn out winters.

I’ve got a ton more questions but I think this is a good start. Just needing to get out of California due to environment and economy. And need somewhere that’s a little financially friendly on a measly Marine Corps retirement.
Thanks for your input👍

They have erfquakes in Nevada. Been trying to talk my wife into moving out west for when we retire. VA is hotter than hell with lots of humidity so I’d love to get out of here but found out the other day Nevada is number two in the US for erfquakes so she ain’t doing that. Far as I know VA care sucks wherever you go. VA killed my sister thirty years ago so id advise anyone relying on VA medical for care to keep their life insurance current or see if you can get on your wife’s insurance.

They have erfquakes in Nevada. Been trying to talk my wife into moving out west for when we retire. VA is hotter than hell with lots of humidity so I’d love to get out of here but found out the other day Nevada is number two in the US for erfquakes so she ain’t doing that. Far as I know VA care sucks wherever you go. VA killed my sister thirty years ago so id advise anyone relying on VA medical for care to keep their life insurance current or see if you can get on your wife’s insurance.
No kidding. Anyone wanting VA care has a death wish. I’ve literally never met anyone that is former military that wants to go to the VA, including family members.

VA hospital in Reno Covers the region, which is about 30-40 minutes away depending on where you might end up. Housing cost still high all over up here. Winters can be cold and snowy but generally mild at valley levels, but by no means warm. Summers rarely dip into the 100s but mainly high 80s-90s, hot and dry. Costs of living not to bad in terms of taxes, but housing high for sure.

I’ve experienced several 7’s and 6’s and a ton of 5’s and 4’s in my 30 plus years here. I will take them any day over a tornado, which I’ve also experienced a handful of.
Hell, I’ll take earthquakes over humidity, ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes. Hate every one of those.
Sorry about your sister. Since I moved to the Central Valley I’ve been fortunate to be assigned a very good and thorough Primary. No complaints at all, and I know this is not the norm. Been battling the VA bureaucracy since 2003, but the care I’ve received has been better than the rotating Dr’s I had for 20 years at the base hospital in 29 Palms.

I lived in the Bay Area for a few years and Reno for about 40. The earthquakes are nowhere near the same in intensity, destruction, or even how they feel. Plus, the age and style of construction and population density is completely different as it relates to earthquake risk.

The VA is in Reno. My brother was a physician there for many years but just recently retired. He was also Chief of Staff for a while. His wife still works there.

There are some really good and caring doctors at the VA, but there are also some bad ones that get protected by the government system.

I’ve experienced several 7’s and 6’s and a ton of 5’s and 4’s in my 30 plus years here. I will take them any day over a tornado, which I’ve also experienced a handful of.
Hell, I’ll take earthquakes over humidity, ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes. Hate every one of those.
Sorry about your sister. Since I moved to the Central Valley I’ve been fortunate to be assigned a very good and thorough Primary. No complaints at all, and I know this is not the norm. Been battling the VA bureaucracy since 2003, but the care I’ve received has been better than the rotating Dr’s I had for 20 years at the base hospital in 29 Palms.
The reality is every place has its up’s and downs. I’d rather deal with a little shaking but the wife not so much. Same with VA hospitals and Drs I’m sure that for the vast majority of the staff they truly want to help the patients but just as the civilian world is learning there are more patients than the system can handle. I have great health insurance but haven’t been to a dr in years. Needed to see a Dr a while back so called a few local offices, soonest anyone could see me was four months out. I’ll just deal with it. VA has been underfunded for years.

The reality is every place has its up’s and downs. I’d rather deal with a little shaking but the wife not so much. Same with VA hospitals and Drs I’m sure that for the vast majority of the staff they truly want to help the patients but just as the civilian world is learning there are more patients than the system can handle. I have great health insurance but haven’t been to a dr in years. Needed to see a Dr a while back so called a few local offices, soonest anyone could see me was four months out. I’ll just deal with it. VA has been underfunded for years.
Yeah we’ve got TriCare Prime so we’re good there plus my wife’s job came with health, eye, and teeth coverage.
Called VA Fresno in April to set up an optometry appointment, next available was January’25. They outsourced me to a civilian Dr and that appointment is this August. Extremely busy for all of them.

Here in Utah, I’ve been able to get in to see a VA doctor in a timely fashion. I think I waited a couple of weeks to see the optometrist.

Don’t move to Carson City or Northern Nevada, it’s horrible. You’ll hate it trust me, really. I’m not kidding, it’s very bad. Also it’s full, there is no more room, it’s full really. 😜

I have no experience with the VA in Reno, however an old Teammate who was paralyzed from the neck down on a MFF jump moved to Reno specifically for the VA center. His wife is a nurse and obviously very particular about his care. I think that says a lot. Although as mentioned before the VA is often NOT the best choice for medical care as it’s truly socialized healthcare and has all the pitfalls of that system.

Don’t move to Carson City or Northern Nevada, it’s horrible. You’ll hate it trust me, really. I’m not kidding, it’s very bad. Also it’s full, there is no more room, it’s full really. 😜

I have no experience with the VA in Reno, however an old Teammate who was paralyzed from the neck down on a MFF jump moved to Reno specifically for the VA center. His wife is a nurse and obviously very particular about his care. I think that says a lot. Although as mentioned before the VA is often NOT the best choice for medical care as it’s truly socialized healthcare and has all the pitfalls of that system.
Can't speak about the VA up here but otherwise, what AZVAJKU said ^^^ This is a horrible place to live, any time of year and it's a constant suffering for us to be here. Oh, and yes, it all full up anyway 🤪

Top Bottom