Jump Starting

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve been running into issues at work with new vehicles with a lot of electronics dying on a regular occasion lately. It’s been 3 in the past few weeks, the newest one only having 300 miles on it! I take it off the charger for a week and it dies… Jump starting is a nightmare with these things, trickle chargers won’t charge it, jump boxes get it to click but not turn over, and it is taking forever to use cables…

My question lately is, does it help revving the engine to jump a car? Would this be an amperage issue since the car was reading 12.6 volts on the dash before I started trying to start it?

In the end, I might get a bigger jump box but don’t want to spend the money on it.

Last edited:
I’ve been running into issues at work with new vehicles with a lot of electronics dying on a regular occasion lately. It’s been 3 in the past few weeks, the newest one only having 300 miles on it! I take it off the charger for a week and it dies… Jump starting is a nightmare with these things, trickle chargers won’t charge it, jump boxes get it to click but not turn over, and it is taking forever to use cables…

My question lately is, does it help revving the engine to jump a car? Would this be an amperage issue since the car was reading 12.6 volts on the dash before I started trying to start it?

In the end, I might get a bigger jump box but don’t want to spend the money on it.
A healthy battery is capable of far more amperage than an alternator. The alternator is expensive and a pain to replace.

It is often recommend to have the booster car running and rev the engine while trying to start the dead car. But maybe this only provides 80 more amps, and puts a lot more stress on the alternator and the belts, so maybe not a great idea.

If the cables are attached then having the booster car running for several minutes to possibly charge the dead battery seems like a good idea.

Running the engine should be to help assure that the booster car will still run rather than providing extra "oomph" to the boosting process.

LOL! I can relate to this so much. Half our inventory is dead - even when it sits for just a couple days after coming in brand new. Each one of us has invested in a solid jump box but sometimes even that won't do the trick... More often than not, I end up pulling my own Jeep around to jumpstart so many new Chrysler, Dodge, and Ram models (non-4xe Jeeps are actually pretty good about not dying) with tried and true old-school cables haha.

Couldn't tell you why.

LOL! I can relate to this so much. Half our inventory is dead - even when it sits for just a couple days after coming in brand new. Each one of us has invested in a solid jump box but sometimes even that won't do the trick... More often than not, I end up pulling my own Jeep around to jumpstart so many new Chrysler, Dodge, and Ram models (non-4xe Jeeps are actually pretty good about not dying) with tried and true old-school cables haha.

Couldn't tell you why.
I can answer the why.

The new car batteries aren't fully charged when installed in the vehicle. They don't come with a full charge. New cars aren't driven enough to charge their batteries. What every new buyer should do is take the vehicle home and fully charge each battery separately until 100%.
But that doesn't happen. So the batteries die much sooner than anyone expects.

I can answer the why.

The new car batteries aren't fully charged when installed in the vehicle. They don't come with a full charge. New cars aren't driven enough to charge their batteries. What every new buyer should do is take the vehicle home and fully charge each battery separately until 100%.
Maybe but if I just bought a $70k Jeep I would be pissed if I immediately had to charge the battery. Doubt that'd be the norm.

You're probably right, but I meant a new norm of people charging the batteries of their brand new cars.
You should charge them if you buy from an auto parts store also. They don't ship with a full charge. The stores and dealerships aren't going to take the time to charge them either. With the IBS in the Jeep's, it messes everything up. Should disconnect the IBS for at least 30 minutes so it will reset when you install new batteries AFTER you fully charge them.

I can answer the why.

Is this fact? I find it hard to believe. Proof anywhere?

You should charge them if you buy from an auto parts store also. They don't ship with a full charge. The stores and dealerships aren't going to take the time to charge them either. With the IBS in the Jeep's, it messes everything up. Should disconnect the IBS for at least 30 minutes so it will reset when you install new batteries AFTER you fully charge them.
I'd imagine new cars sitting on a lot use some charge, but out of all the batteries we've replaced within my family's cars, never have we charged a brand new battery when replaced from a store or when bought new from a dealer. Nor have I ever advised any customer to do so... When you buy a stack of AA batteries from the store, you charge them before you throw 'em in the remote? Ain't no way that's necessary.

I can answer the why.

all the cars I've bought over the years, never had to charge a new car battery nor have I had any die as quickly as the 2018 JL and now the 2020 JT have.

It's just shitty QC and cutting corners to save a buck, pretty confident in saying the actuaries have it figured out that most people will buy and replace batteries on their own dime versus taking it back to the dealership.

Business' have long abandoned the customer relationship/retainment model.

The store does not charge the batteries. The act of filing the battery with acid before putting it on the shelf results in fully charged. If the stock sells quickly, the charge should be good!

Couldn't tell you why.
GM used to have us charge batteries while doing the PDI. They got rid of the new battery charge to save money. Now cars die on the lot in a few days. I used to tell our service manager to let us charge them and to bill it to sales but he said no 🥴

GM used to have us charge batteries while doing the PDI. They got rid of the new battery charge to save money. Now cars die on the lot in a few days. I used to tell our service manager to let us charge them and to bill it to sales but he said no 🥴
Yup. Same story here haha. We have our porter go to our PDI lot and charge everything we have in storage lot periodically.

Top Bottom