JLU 2.0L Overheat w Trailer

squirrelmasta

So I waited for the 2024 JLU Rubicon due to getting the full float axle which gives it a little better towing (5,000 lbs) knowing I would most likely pick up a small travel trailer in the future. Well I got the trailer and all was good until this weekend. I've taken it out twice, but with the trailer behind the Jeep (Jeep is completely stock), any throttle and the coolant / oil temp's start going through the roof. Trailer is 3,000 lbs, so I would say a good buffer from the max capability. But on larger inclines I'm seeing the coolant get to 242 and then the engine temp gauge (the one opposite the gas level) starts to jump from 1/4 to 3/4 and I have seen the oil temp hit 259. Both 242 coolant and 259 for oil seem extremely high. I was hoping to keep the Jeep as the piggy vehicle until I lifted it, but this now makes me concerned that with 37's that mountain passes could be an issue with just the Jeep.

Anyone else seeing issues like this with the 2.0L? I have an apt with the dealership but they seemed to not care because it hasn't thrown a code, but it has gone into limp mode once.

2.0 L towing a trailer I wouldn’t think it would do very good.
Agreed ^

I get it has the full float now which is awesome, but especially since Jeep did away with the e-torque in the 2.0 I wouldn't expect it tow well anyway. Dealer can't do much because I doubt they'll be able to replicate the issue and they're most likely backed up as-is with vehicles fully diagnosed already.

2.0 L towing a trailer I wouldn’t think it would do very good.
It does have quite a lot of torque, which is good. The cooling system would need to be able to handle it.

I have not seen the temperature rise much all driving up long steep grades in the heat. But I just have a 2-door.

Jeeps in general do not seem to be designed for towing.

The 2.0 is probably the issue like others have said. I’ve towed an overloaded moving trailer from Florida to Montana with my 3.6 JK with 3.73 gears, 35s, bumper, winch and a canoe on the roof without an issue.

What gears? 4:10? XR with 4:56 or 4:88?
Stock 4:10's.

I would agree with wrong vehicle for the job to a point. I was really hoping to be able to utilize the Jeep for at least a year and then when lift / bigger tires go on, I was expecting that to eat up the buffer in the tow rating. However it seems be more of a bad branding from Jeep that this thing is really rated for that much weight.

The 2.0 is probably the issue like others have said. I’ve towed an overloaded moving trailer from Florida to Montana with my 3.6 JK with 3.73 gears, 35s, bumper, winch and a canoe on the roof without an issue.

That canoe on the roof helped improve your aerodynamics though😆.

Seriously though that’s an impressive haul.

I would agree with wrong vehicle for the job to a point. I was really hoping to be able to utilize the Jeep for at least a year and then when lift / bigger tires go on, I was expecting that to eat up the buffer in the tow rating. However it seems be more of a bad branding from Jeep that this thing is really rated for that much weight.
The 2.0L has proven itself to be a good motor but yeah, Jeep has an over inflated idea of what it can do or at least, has been pimping it harder than it should.

I mean not really. A Miata is rated to tow 2100 pounds but probably shouldn’t. Not really bad branding. If you were trying to tow 4000 pounds with a gladiator sport with max tow which is rated at 7000 and had issues then maybe I could see a point but that’s not the case.

3000 pound trailer dry or loaded? What’s your cargo weight in the Jeep? All that plays a part. I would guess you’re close to be at max or even overloaded.

You should be able to run 65-70 mph or so at high altitude on flat land with that load (provided you’re not hauling a family of five and packed to the gills with gear). Slow down over high altitude mountain passes to 55 mph or so. The turbo’s torque at high altitude can give you a false sense of confidence. The 3.6 simply won’t hold very high speeds at altitude on steep grades when towing (and if it does, it’s screamingly so loudly it makes you want to slow down anyway), so it has a built-in limiter of sorts.

No experience with the 2.0, but I had a renegade with the 1.3 turbo (which I think is just a smaller 2.0?, same engine family), and it couldn't handle any grades once you hit 5000ft elevation. It would overheat very quick and go into limp mode. I think I saw it hit 256 a few times. Only had 10k miles on it. Some people said it was the fuel grade (I was running regular, never took it out west again to try with premium). Never had any other vehicle overheat in the mountains (Jeeps, including my 3.6 JL and a couple Land Rovers) What fuel grade are you using? Are you sure all the fans are working?

That is interesting. I have never seen my 2.0 temperature reading budge at all once it reaches its set point (about tick below the center). It seems to me that vehicles with overheating have a problem, or they are being abused.

Top Bottom