JK exhaust issue

Kevgund

Hey All....

So I recently noticed that the bolts holding the exhaust flanges have completely rusted off and now it sounds like I have no exhaust. Without replacing both converters do you all think if I drilled out the rusted part and bolted it together that would work?

If so does anyone have a recommendation or idea of an easy way to drill out the rusted metal?

I attached a image and circles the two flanges I am referring to.

Thank You,

Kevin

Attachments

• JKexhaust1.jpg
    JKexhaust1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 17
You’re trying to remove the broken bolts, correct?

Do you have a pic?

My first try would be heat it up and beat the broken bolt out of the hole with a stake punch.

If it works, you’re done fast.
I hate drilling.

IMG_3625.jpeg

I personally would drill them out, even though it’ll be a pain. If you have the 3.6 the cats bolt right to the head hitting them can stress the bolts and gaskets potentially causing an exhaust leak there as well.

@black pearl , I’ve seen some pretty innovative repairs in some of your posts. Be curious if you have a preferred bolt extraction method / tool.

@Kevgund, still curious to see a pic here. Which flange is the bolt stuck in? Cat flange or exhaust flange?

To @black pearl’s point, goes without saying that if you do decide to heat it and hit it, if it doesn’t pop out in two clean hits, you will need to try something else.

Plus being in NJ, I bet your entire exhaust is pretty corroded / fragile at this point.

@black pearl , I’ve seen some pretty innovative repairs in some of your posts. Be curious if you have a preferred bolt extraction method / tool.

@Kevgund, still curious to see a pic here. Which flange is the bolt stuck in? Cat flange or exhaust flange?

To @black pearl’s point, goes without saying that if you do decide to heat it and hit it, if it doesn’t pop out in two clean hits, you will need to try something else.

Plus being in NJ, I bet your entire exhaust is pretty corroded / fragile at this point.
This one being on the exhaust typically don’t respond well to standard extraction processes. The heat and cooling bond the two surfaces together pretty well. I would drill it. Ideally just big enough to step up one bolt size, whether it be standard or metric and retap to that. But in most real world situations drilling it out and running a bolt with a nut is sufficient enough.

A good set of extractors and left handed drill bits go a long way. Sometimes all you need is an engraver and can walk the bolt out with the vibration. That only works in certain situations though , like when a bolt is over tightened and breaks.

Gotta be honest, I didn’t realize any of this connection was threaded. I assumed both flanges were through holes. I would agree standard drill methods apply.

Wondering if the original post was some sort of a trick question…

Without replacing both converters do you all think if I drilled out the rusted part and bolted it together that would work?

Why would you replace the cats? How would that be easier than removing broken bolts?

Are you asking if it’s ok to bolt your flanges together after you remove the bolts from them? How would that not be ok?

Wouldn’t it be worth a try in lieu of cutting out your cats and welding in new ones for thousands of dollars?

This thread has done a number on me…

The big question is, what condition are the exhaust flanges in?

It could very well be that corrosion is all that's holding everything together at this point.

The OP is in salt and spray country and low grade stainless will rust.

If the flanges are all shot, the repair becomes REAL expensive.

Gotta be honest, I didn’t realize any of this connection was threaded. I assumed both flanges were through holes. I would agree standard drill methods apply.

Wondering if the original post was some sort of a trick question…

Why would you replace the cats? How would that be easier than removing broken bolts?

Are you asking if it’s ok to bolt your flanges together after you remove the bolts from them? How would that not be ok?

Wouldn’t it be worth a try in lieu of cutting out your cats and welding in new ones for thousands of dollars?

This thread has done a number on me…
I can only speak on the 3.6 pentstar setup. The threaded flange is on the cat side of the pipe and the cat bolts right to the heads, there isn’t an exhaust manifold, that is integrated into the heads.

I can only speak on the 3.6 pentstar setup. The threaded flange is on the cat side of the pipe and the cat bolts right to the heads, there isn’t an exhaust manifold, that is integrated into the heads.

Yea the cats clearly bolt to the head. The threaded cat flange, I did not know about…

OP has likely gone full aftermarket exhaust and glass packs at this point…Godspeed OP…

I know a guy in ocean springs Mississippi that will straight pipe the whole shootin’ match for you if it comes down to it…

Yea the cats clearly bolt to the head. The threaded cat flange, I did not know about…

OP has likely gone full aftermarket exhaust and glass packs at this point…Godspeed OP…

I know a guy in ocean springs Mississippi that will straight pipe the whole shootin’ match for you if it comes down to it…
I pulled my muffler one day, because I was curious what it sounded like. I could only handle the pissed off Honda sound for maybe an hour… let me tell you it couldn’t cool down fast enough to get that muffler back on 🤣

Top Bottom