Installed Teraflex 2WD Low shift plate for 241OR - Whine after install

jc259

Looking for some input.... I just installed a Teraflex 2WD Low shift plate into a 2012 - 241OR that had 50 original kms on it. Everything seemed to go smooth, was a bit sticky trying to shift it out of the vehicle. Got the transfer case in my 2007 Unlimited Rubicon. only installed the rear drive shaft. Everything shifts well in the vehicle and both 2 and 4 high and low drive great but when in either 2WD Low or 4WD low the whine I am getting is very loud. much more then my old tcase. The install seemed very straight forward and it didn't seem like there was anything that could have gone back together wrong. Drove around a couple blocks and then parked as I am concerned about the whine.

1) The new 241OR had been sitting since it was new (2012) in a shop as it was for a build that never happened. Could there be a bearing starved making the whine?

2) I found one article about dimpling the oil pump hose. Not sure this is necessary since in the new case it was held in place by a support. Could there be somewhere I am not getting oil to? Could the hose be off the pick up? Doesn't seem like this would be the issue since high range has no whine.

3) Is it possible I reassembled something incorrectly? I can't see how, especially since everything works as expected

4) Does a new transfer case need some break in time in Low range to quiet down? I didn't own my jeep from new so didn't have a chance to deal with Low range on a new vehicle/transfer case before.

Note: No front drive shaft so no load on the front output of the tcase well drive testing...

My next step will be to pull the new tcase, put both the old and new on the bench and spin them with a drill to compare the noise, next would be crack the case on the new one and double check things.

Cheers,
Jeff

Top Bottom