In need of immediate knowledge about fuel system

wmeyer116

So I'm in my 16 Rubicon with 7k miles on it, on a forest service road/trail right now, and I was going down hill coasting in first basically engine braking, and it started smelling of gas. So I slowed it down and turned it off, checked to see if anything was leaking, Which it wasn't, and then tried to start it again and it won't start, just keeps turning over. What is going on lol?

If you smelled gas it's pretty much got to be leaking somewhere. So I'd keep looking.

Can you hear the fuel pump start when you cycle the key to on?

So I'm in my 16 Rubicon with 7k miles on it, on a forest service road/trail right now, and I was going down hill coasting in first basically engine braking, and it started smelling of gas. So I slowed it down and turned it off, checked to see if anything was leaking, Which it wasn't, and then tried to start it again and it won't start, just keeps turning over. What is going on lol?

Low fuel? Is hill quite steep? Maybe the pickup tube is above the gas level in the tank? Numerous YouTube videos of this happening.

Low fuel? Is hill quite steep? Maybe the pickup tube is above the gas level in the tank? Numerous YouTube videos of this happening.

This.
I've had it happen. Coast it down the hill if you can. Park it with the front end above the rear (facing up a hill) try it in a min or two. Then go get some gas lol

Last edited:
Wow, so before it happened I went over a few sticks, maybe the size of my fingers, and o e of them mist have popped off the fuel line where it connects in front of the tank. I just connect it again. Disturbing. I went back up to the sticks and it smells like gas

Wow, so before it happened I went over a few sticks, maybe the size of my fingers, and o e of them mist have popped off the fuel line where it connects in front of the tank. I just connect it again. Disturbing. I went back up to the sticks and it smells like gas
WOW that's nuts. Good to hear you got it fixed. That's crazy though

Unlucky. Glad you got it fixed quick and was nothing major.

If that's even what it was though. There was no sign of tearing or scraping on the fuel line. There wasn't any stick jammed up around it or on the skid plate or anything.

Im going to ask a dumb question here as I believe the sarcasm might have completely flown over my head... I thought fuel lines snap into place thus requiring a special tool to allow them to be disconnected. That being said... How in the world did a random stick on the ground manage to disconnect yours from your fuel tank?:thinking:

Bartender... More scotch please

Im going to ask a dumb question here as I believe the sarcasm might have completely flown over my head... I thought fuel lines snap into place thus requiring a special tool to allow them to be disconnected. That being said... How in the world did a random stick on the ground manage to disconnect yours from your fuel tank?:thinking:

Bartender... More scotch please

Probably stuck together well enough to not pop off on the assembly line and after 7k miles on the odometer decided it was time to blow apart

Top Bottom