I don't know what that is...

The BAD Influence

Me looking for a stock front driveline, to hold us over until we get the PR44, then I'll replace the driveline. Current one is going out.
Me: (looking at a post on a local Facebook Jeep group) Is that the front driveline, and is it still available?
Seller: I don't really know what a driveline is. Most everything is still available. Could you tell me which picture you're talking about, and describe what a driveline looks like.
Me: In the picture with your suspension parts, there's a driveline, that's what I'm interested in. But need to confirm it's the front.
Seller: I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by suspension parts.
Me: Ok, you posted a picture of the tires and wheels. Let's call that picture #1. Picture #2 is the one of the hood. Picture #3 is the rock sliders. Picture #4 is the suspension and driveline. The springs and control arms are all black. The driveline is silver but is already showing rust on parts of it.
Seller: Again, I'm not really sure what to look for. I just bought the Jeep and took it to a shop to have all the modifications done a couple days later. I don't know what they did. They just loaded everything in my truck and told me I could recoup some of the modifications cost, by selling the parts.
Me: Maybe if I could just come by and look at the parts I could point out what I'm looking for.
Seller: That may be best.

Me(thinking to myself) If he has no idea what a driveline is, how the hell is he going to know how much it's worth. $10, final offer.

Lol, that’s a good one. Amazing but a good story. When I lifted my neighbors jku last year it had like 60k miles on it. He bought it new. I had the hood up and he walked over and looked in it and said “I’ve never had the hood up”

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol, that’s a good one. Amazing but a good story. When I lifted my neighbors jku last year it had like 60k miles on it. He bought it new. I had the hood up and he walked over and looked in it and said “I’ve never had the hood up”

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
The hood goes up on these things??[emoji12]

This morning, the seller calls me.
Seller: Ok, I'm looking at the parts, tell me what to look for and I will send a picture of the part # so you can confirm it's what you want.
Me: ( we go around and around, I had sent him pictures of a stock drive shaft and an after market one. Back and forth, back and forth. Finally he says he's sure he knows what I'm talking about.)
Me: That picture you sent is if the steering stabilizer.
Seller: Oh, well I don't know what that is either.
Me: Just send me your address, my son lives near you, I'll have him come over and look at it.
Seller: Your son? How old is he, will he know what you're looking for?
Me: He's 21. And yes, he knows exactly what I need.
Seller: That's incredible!!

Wow, like others noted bought not built. Blows me away to have thus kind of work done to your vehicle and not know what was done.

My local parts guy at the dealer says they see similar things all the time....dealer mods brand new JK, squirts on some tire shine and parks it out front. Just a mater of time until someone slaps down a credit card and says..I'll take the built one.

OP I think you found a gold mine post, if the value is not understood....pick your price.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Update: My son went by and confirmed it was the front driveline. However, he informed me the guy had a Rubicon, and since we have a Sahara we were concerned about his driveline being able to swap into ours. In the meantime the guy had called the shop that did the install and they told him not to let it go for less than $200. I called the local dealer to ask about the swap. They said all Mopar lifts come with a new front driveline, and the lift is still a rebranded Teraflex system, and no, the Rubicon axle wouldn't swap into our Sahara. However, almost none of their lifts get taken home by the customer, so on the next one they do that is non Rubicon, he'll save the driveline and it's mine for free.
Regarding the guys Jeep. He informed my son he purchased it as a company vehicle and is using it as a mobile billboard for his business. My son said it reminded him of when the H2 was used in the same way. The guy said he had been off road once, but the place he mentioned is just a dirt road, people drive their cars and minivan up there.
So, I'll be getting a free driveline (I'll throw in a 6 pack of Mt. Dew, it's what the Mormons drink in public) so I can keep saving for my PR 44 and a JE Reel.

Update: My son went by and confirmed it was the front driveline. However, he informed me the guy had a Rubicon, and since we have a Sahara we were concerned about his driveline being able to swap into ours. In the meantime the guy had called the shop that did the install and they told him not to let it go for less than $200. I called the local dealer to ask about the swap. They said all Mopar lifts come with a new front driveline, and the lift is still a rebranded Teraflex system, and no, the Rubicon axle wouldn't swap into our Sahara. However, almost none of their lifts get taken home by the customer, so on the next one they do that is non Rubicon, he'll save the driveline and it's mine for free.
Regarding the guys Jeep. He informed my son he purchased it as a company vehicle and is using it as a mobile billboard for his business. My son said it reminded him of when the H2 was used in the same way. The guy said he had been off road once, but the place he mentioned is just a dirt road, people drive their cars and minivan up there.
So, I'll be getting a free driveline (I'll throw in a 6 pack of Mt. Dew, it's what the Mormons drink in public) so I can keep saving for my PR 44 and a JE Reel.

Are you talking axle or driveshaft? The driveshaft is the exact same on both models. The dealer guy is an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow dealer letting go a take of for free, cool. I've heard others saying 300.

For future reference if you are in the same model year series 2012 to 2018 AND of same transmission....i would challenge the part numbers on a Rubicon to non Rubicon. Pretty sure they same, I recall hearing the auto vs 6 speed trans is the variable.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you talking axle or driveshaft? The driveshaft is the exact same on both models. The dealer guy is an idiot.

Driveshaft. My son and I were sending pictures back and forth, it looked like it would swap in fine. But after the local dealer told me I could have the next one free, I decided that was the route I was going. The guy wasn't moving off his $200 asking price anyway. Free < $200

Wow dealer letting go a take of for free, cool. I've heard others saying 300.

For future reference if you are in the same model year series 2012 to 2018 AND of same transmission....i would challenge the part numbers on a Rubicon to non Rubicon. Pretty sure they same, I recall hearing the auto vs 6 speed trans is the variable.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Both automatics, ours a 2015, his 2017. I was about 95% sure it would swap just fine, but the local guy, idiot or not, gave me deal I couldn't pass up.

Until I read down further I totally thought this was some type of joke or something.

If he ever goes out on the trail I would love to see him try and do a trail fix. Better yet, change a tire[emoji23] almost pissing myself just thinking about it

Top Bottom