Frame breaks?

Jim SoG

I have seen a video of one happening, towing. I also have a friend who just returned from a trip towing and broke (bent?) his frame.

So is this not a factory defect (Not knowing all the details) and should be recalled for braces or something?

Anyone install a brace set or other device to prevent this? I do tow a camp trailer at times and am concerned.....

TIA

Jim

I have seen a video of one happening, towing. I also have a friend who just returned from a trip towing and broke (bent?) his frame.

So is this not a factory defect (Not knowing all the details) and should be recalled for braces or something?

Anyone install a brace set or other device to prevent this? I do tow a camp trailer at times and am concerned.....

TIA

Jim
I watched a YouTube video where a place called Shift Autoworks (???) in Escondido, California is installing frame braces to help keep Gladiator frames from breaking due to towing. It sounded like they might productize this.

This is a YouTube clickbait thing. You'll get a few guys overloading the hell out of their JT or jumping them, then when their frame gets bent they yell factory defect. Nope.

Attachments

• WTH.jpg
    WTH.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 45
What a group, I ask a legit question, know a guy who just had this happen and I am now concerned and you guys just say everyone is an idiots or guys must be jumping their rigs?

Jim

What was your friends trailer + cargo + passengers weight? Was it below the max stated on the door jamb sticker?

What a group, I ask a legit question, know a guy who just had this happen and I am now concerned and you guys just say everyone is an idiots or guys must be jumping their rigs?

Jim
We are the problem? You post a question with zero information and expect us to say yes it’s an issue. Someone posted the YouTube thumbnail from one which proves the point of idiot. If my friend had an issue with a frame break, he would for sure give me the whole story.

To that point, yes it’s totally an issue. Call Marvin Heemeyer. He is the best welder in the game when it comes to stiffening frames.

Jim
I did learn about this issue a few weeks ago. But it is a legitimate question regarding if the trailer exceeded the rated towing capacity.

If you read all the info available, and watch the videos, there is a common theme.

Overloaded and towing a trailer off road. Between the added weight, torsion extremes, your answer is obvious.

You can't take any vehicle beyond what it was designed for repeatedly, and expect longevity.

Is the frame bent or is the bed bent?

There have been a small number of cases of the bed bending which causes the gap between the bed and the cab to look larger on top than bottom- leading individuals to believe the frame is bent.

As stated above this is from exceeding the vehicle’s capacity. The Gladiator is awesome, we love ours, however it’s a Jeep JL with a bed, NOT a pickup truck. Respect the manufacturer’s stated weight limits.

Is the frame bent or is the bed bent?

There have been a small number of cases of the bed bending which causes the gap between the bed and the cab to look larger on top than bottom- leading individuals to believe the frame is bent.

As stated above this is from exceeding the vehicle’s capacity. The Gladiator is awesome, we love ours, however it’s a Jeep JL with a bed, NOT a pickup truck. Respect the manufacturer’s stated weight limits.
When people ask me, I say it’s a Wrangler with a big ass that holds more shit. My Gladiator is NOT a tow vehicle for anything of even relatively moderate weight. Buy a truck if you want a truck.

Don't take it personally. We all mean well.

It's not a defect. I think what we're getting at is most of these cases are directly related to overloading.

I don't have a Gladiator, but a brief look at the specs on the Jeep.com site show a payload of 1,000-1,500 lbs depending on what model you have. And that's just standard equipment. That's not a lot to work with.

People always read the towing capacity wrong. Just cause it says 7000 (for example) doesn’t mean you can tow 7k, will 1k lbs on the tongue, with the bed full of another 1000lbs plus the back seat full of crap. That is how frames snap
EggZachary.

Most people want to forget what their PAYLOAD is and everything it includes, like TONGUE WEIGHT.

If your payload is maxed, you can't tow.

Top Bottom