Engine Bay Heat

teotwawki

I have a 2024 Willys 4-door with the 2.0 turbo. I drive it up to the mountains behind my house a few days a week to hike, and it's about a 3,500' climb over 15 miles. After I park, the engine bay seems alarmingly hot. Even the cover on the fuse box is too hot to touch for a while. I've checked all the fluids, and the guages read normal, but I'm wondering whether this amount of heat is bad for all the other non-engine bits under the hood. It doesn't matter whether it's in the 50s or the 80s. Is this kind of heat normal for this kind of Wrangler?

The warranty on mine was 50k miles so I assume that the under-hood components are designed to survive the heat for at least 50k miles. 😀

The 2.0 is a water-cooled turbo engine so the turbo should not require a few minutes for cool-down after heavy use (like an air-cooled turbo does) before turning off the engine. If you listen, you will hear pumps still running after the engine is turned off in order to equalize the temperatures in the engine.

If the engine has been subjected to prolonged loads, it does make sense to idle it (or drive slowly) for a few minutes (perhaps with the AC off) to help eliminate and equalize the heat in the engine bay.

Upvote 0
If the engine has been subjected to prolonged loads, it does make sense to idle it (or drive slowly) for a few minutes (perhaps with the AC off) to help eliminate and equalize the heat in the engine bay.
No that doesn’t make sense at all.does it say in any owners manual to let your vehicle idle with the ac off after prolonged loads?

Upvote 0
No that doesn’t make sense at all.does it say in any owners manual to let your vehicle idle with the ac off after prolonged loads?
No, the owners manual does not say any such thing. It is just my personal opinion that allowing the cooling system to circulate with the fan doing its thing should help reduce and stabilize engine temperature before it is shut off.

Obviously, this is only something that one might do if the engine is extremely hot, such as after a long hill climb at speed.

Upvote 0
No, the owners manual does not say any such thing. It is just my personal opinion that allowing the cooling system to circulate with the fan doing its thing should help reduce and stabilize engine temperature before it is shut off.

Obviously, this is only something that one might do if the engine is extremely hot, such as after a long hill climb at speed.
Short of turning your engine off, not much is going to cool the engine bay. Driving around slow is just going to continue to add heat.

Upvote 0

Short of turning your engine off, not much is going to cool the engine bay. Driving around slow is just going to continue to add heat.
Keep a cooler of ice-cold water, use it for engine/turbo rapid cooling 🤪 :LOL:

Upvote 0
Top Bottom