Diesels on the trail

JK12

How do you guys feel about diesels on the trails? Do you find them a nuisance?or should they just belong in a tow rig? I'm talking about in a jeep. Give me some feedback. I know they weight a lot but how do you feel about them any downsides?

I would be running a diesel in my jeep if it weren't for the outragious price tag on getting it done. My last truck was an 07 2500 megacab with a 5.9 Cummins, stock 3.73 gearing, 6 speed manual, 8" long arm lift running 37 13.50 20 Tokyo mts. It had very impressive performance and the mph was over 17. I did wheel it every chance I got and it did well . In a jeep you would probably go more for a 4bt 3.9 which is a bit loud same as the older 6bts but the torque and gas mileage make it well worth it.

I'd love to own a strong diesel JK. Diesels start making big torque as soon as you turn the ignition key. The issues of oily emissions and noise have been greatly reduced over the years making me at least want to take a good look at a diesel JK. I love the Pentastar in my 2012 JKUR, but concur with the rap on it for lack of low end torque. I don't think that would be a problem with an oil burner. Bring it on!:yup:

I think diesels have there place on the trails, but not on all trails. It would greatly depend on what kind of wheeling u do, and which diesel u drop in. For expedition type rigs they would b great, between efficiency, mpg and low end grunt. But if your in situations that need wheel speed and quick throttle response, I think you'd b happier w a gasser. I've got a Cummins that will scream, but there has been a handful of situations every time I ride (in east tn) where the lack of throttle response, compared to my 4.0, would have left me in a bad situation because it simply won't climb rpms as quick as a gas motor.

There won't b one perfect solution for all situations, but my opinion, coming from a diesel junky, I would stick w a gasser if there is any moderate or greater trails being run. (My definition of "moderate" might b different coming from the east coast)

For what it's worth, I decided to build a stroker 4.7 over swapping a 4bt Cummins because of power, and throttle response. And mileage is not a big concern w my jeep as it's not a daily drive most of the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I think diesels have there place on the trails, but not on all trails. It would greatly depend on what kind of wheeling u do, and which diesel u drop in. For expedition type rigs they would b great, between efficiency, mpg and low end grunt. But if your in situations that need wheel speed and quick throttle response, I think you'd b happier w a gasser. I've got a Cummins that will scream, but there has been a handful of situations every time I ride (in east tn) where the lack of throttle response, compared to my 4.0, would have left me in a bad situation because it simply won't climb rpms as quick as a gas motor.

There won't b one perfect solution for all situations, but my opinion, coming from a diesel junky, I would stick w a gasser if there is any moderate or greater trails being run. (My definition of "moderate" might b different coming from the east coast)

For what it's worth, I decided to build a stroker 4.7 over swapping a 4bt Cummins because of power, and throttle response. And mileage is not a big concern w my jeep as it's not a daily drive most of the time.

I'm guessing for you there's a lot of mud in the east? I've never been wheeling out there but I'm sure it's a lot different out in the west where I am.

I would be running a diesel in my jeep if it weren't for the outragious price tag on getting it done. My last truck was an 07 2500 megacab with a 5.9 Cummins, stock 3.73 gearing, 6 speed manual, 8" long arm lift running 37 13.50 20 Tokyo mts. It had very impressive performance and the mph was over 17. I did wheel it every chance I got and it did well . In a jeep you would probably go more for a 4bt 3.9 which is a bit loud same as the older 6bts but the torque and gas mileage make it well worth it.

Yea prices for swaps are pretty ridiculous. I don't know if you have experience with the 4bt but is it much louder than a 6bt? Or about the same. I've always liked the sound of a cummins diesel. Would any if you see a problem for daily driving with one in a jk?

I'm guessing for you there's a lot of mud in the east? I've never been wheeling out there but I'm sure it's a lot different out in the west where I am.

Yes, things are very wet most of the time out here. Which is y I passed on the 4bt swap. Also y I assume it would b better suited out west where u can actually have expedition rides. Less difficult trail obstacles, less wetness, yada, yada. I hear traction is good out west to the point sometimes all terrain tires would work better. One again, it's all in how u use your rig.

A 4bt swap would have costed me, in an xj between 4-5k, motor and trans included. Prices may b different in ur neck of the woods.

The 4bt is pretty loud when it comes to injector rattle, (the typical rattle of a diesel) but the exhaust not will not compare to a 6 cylinder Cummins. Neither w the performance. The beauty about the 4bt tho is its an all mechanical motor. Once it's running, u don't need an alt, or battery to drive off the trail. The rest of a jk might b a different story tho.

If I was to do a diesel swap, that would compare in performance to a gas engine, I would look into what would b involved in a TDI swap outta a VW. 40+ mpg, lots of aftermarket support, and more common (for finding parts at your run of the mill parts store)

That's just my take on this. Take it how u will. I'm not an "expert" but I have lots of experience w jeeps, on the trails, and a good bit w diesels.

Yea prices for swaps are pretty ridiculous. I don't know if you have experience with the 4bt but is it much louder than a 6bt? Or about the same. I've always liked the sound of a cummins diesel. Would any if you see a problem for daily driving with one in a jk?

I haven't owned a 4bt but from what I've seen and heard they are about the same noise level as the older 6bts. I've never seen anything to suggest either would be bad for a daily driver. I do think a 4bt would be easier to fit it you want to keep your ac and heater plus it is at least a little less lbs.

I have a diesel performance business...that said I'd ban them off-road along with carbs. Last thing I want to deal with is over rich stalling carbs and diesel fumes. I wheel to get away from the smell of the city and enjoy the outdoors.

I have a diesel performance business...that said I'd ban them off-road along with carbs. Last thing I want to deal with is over rich stalling carbs and diesel fumes. I wheel to get away from the smell of the city and enjoy the outdoors.

:cheesy: I love the "idea" of a diesel Jeep but, like you, would hate to be caught behind one on the trail.

That is the stone cold truth! I support this "best post ever" concerning diesels :rock:

I had the 3.0L diesel in the grand Cherokee when I lived in Germany, and after 3 years you could still stick your finger in the exhaust pipe and not have soot in you. It was super quite and still had over 400lb of torque that came on right after idle. It was a blast to drive and would be awesome in the JK

I agree I wouldn't really want to be behide one on the trail but its still a good idea to me. Although I don't mind the smell it wouldn't bother me much unless its for a long time.

You should look at the f150 eco boost. This would be an impressive improovment to our jeeps awesome power problem without the diesel noise or smell lol:clap2:

Top Bottom