At what lift height do I need to consider a control arm drop bracket?

Running a Skyjacker 2.5"/1" leveling lift (all springs and new shocks) I'm getting the occasional mild wobble at 50-55 mph. It's only hit scary level once and it's been on the truck a year now. It gets more prominent any time the weather gets under 50 degrees. The alignment tech at the dealership says the alignment is "within limits" and suggested I get a stiffer steering dampener. (One came with the lift)

My suspicion is that I need to press the tech and have him adjust the toe anyway or install the Evo manufacturing drop brackets that I picked up second hand. But at only 2.5" up front, I'm not sure I lifted it enough to need the brackets.

Is it a shimmy or a wobble? A shimmy is probably tired especially if it is specific speed related. A wobble is a loose or warn steering component. Track bar most likely.

Your dealership tech is an idiot. You don’t even need a stabilizer period let alone a stronger one. You’ll just mask the issue.

Running a Skyjacker 2.5"/1" leveling lift (all springs and new shocks) I'm getting the occasional mild wobble at 50-55 mph. It's only hit scary level once and it's been on the truck a year now. It gets more prominent any time the weather gets under 50 degrees. The alignment tech at the dealership says the alignment is "within limits" and suggested I get a stiffer steering dampener. (One came with the lift)

My suspicion is that I need to press the tech and have him adjust the toe anyway or install the Evo manufacturing drop brackets that I picked up second hand. But at only 2.5" up front, I'm not sure I lifted it enough to need the brackets.
As mentioned, drop brackets will NOT fix a wobble. They simply restore front control arm geometry and that helps to provide a better ride. Also as mentioned, a speed related "shimmy" in the steering wheel is typically a tire balance issue. That said, the OE steering stabilizer is in my opinion, does a BETTER job of dampening than whatever came with your kit. The only one I've tested that is at least as good is the Rancho RS7MT stabilizer.

Otherwise, I would agree that you should check to make sure that things like your track bar bolts are tightened to 120 ft lbs of torque.

Hmm, it has had a shimmy since the install. I assumed it was tires at first as well since I was rolling on older tires. But the new ones mounted/balanced at dealership didn't solve it. I have since replaced the tires with brand new KO2s. (315/75R17 on AEV Pintlers) and while the shimmy has gotten a little better, it's still present. It is definitely weather affected. Under 50 degrees and it pops up almost every drive.

I think I'm going to upgrade the track bar and tighten everything down to torque specs again. Since I already have a set of drop brackets in the garage is it worth installing them?

Hmm, it has had a shimmy since the install. I assumed it was tires at first as well since I was rolling on older tires. But the new ones mounted/balanced at dealership didn't solve it. I have since replaced the tires with brand new KO2s. (315/75R17 on AEV Pintlers) and while the shimmy has gotten a little better, it's still present. It is definitely weather affected. Under 50 degrees and it pops up almost every drive.

I think I'm going to upgrade the track bar and tighten everything down to torque specs again. Since I already have a set of drop brackets in the garage is it worth installing them?
Sure, they will help restore ride quality and handling back to stock like performance. That said, I would still reinstall your OE stabilizer and see if that helps as well.

My 2019 would get a shimmy when it was under under 40 deg and it tended to happen over 35 mph up to 55 or so. I think it has something to do with the GD electric pump on these interacting with the steering stabilizer. There was an actual recall on the stabilizers a couple years ago as well.

My 2019 would get a shimmy when it was under under 40 deg and it tended to happen over 35 mph up to 55 or so. I think it has something to do with the GD electric pump on these interacting with the steering stabilizer. There was an actual recall on the stabilizers a couple years ago as well.
??? the power steering pump? I checked the recall website and my Jeep has had everything taken care of so far...

OH ok. It definitely a real thing since I can stick my head out and see the driver's side tire doing the shimmy when I feel it in the steering wheel

Top Bottom