Almost Stolen!

Hello All, Someone almost stole my Rubicon right in front of my house a few weeks ago in the early morning hours. I am just getting it back from the dealer this afternoon. The would be thief's surgically removed my drivers side rear window and attempted to steel the signal from my key fobs however they failed. What they did manage to do is erase my key fobs somehow and i could not start my jeep with either of my 2 key fobs. I had to have it towed to the dealership so they could re program the fobs however they where not successful with one of them so it had to be replaced along with my window they removed. I had no idea the attempted theft happened until the following day. I found my removed window across the street from my house in the grass.

Do any of you have any input on anti left ideas for future thief's that are worth installing? I do find the bolt hood lock interesting that uses the jeep key.

Thanks I appreciate any tips you all may have.

John

Attachments

• IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 25
If my understanding is correct, they disable the horns up front, physically force their way in, then do something in the CANBUS in the passenger front foot well to disable existing fobs and program new ones in.

So, with all that said, there's not much you can do to stop them.

I doubt that it is possible to "erase" your fobs remotely, and not even possible to duplicate them without removing physical parts inside the fob.

But someone with physical access can certainly bypass the Jeep's internal security systems, given the access, equipment, and knowledge. Apparently these crooks failed.

I had my JKU broken in the same way, it was the rear window, and the added window film kept the glass in one piece. It also appeared like it had been scored diagonally, folded and removed in one piece.

You could get an alarm with glass breakage sensors that detect soft breaks, or a Z-automotive Tazer.

The Z-Automotive Tazer now has a pin code lock option, from Z-Automotive description:

The Tazer PIN Lock allows you to set a steering wheel button sequence (PIN) that must be entered before the vehicle can be driven and provides
for the vehicle to become immobilized in the event of an attempted theft through triggering the PIN Lock, key pairing or triggering the factory alarm.

For those of you with existing Taxer, you can upgrade it to add all the latest features.

Ravelco. Been using it for years. Won’t stop a break in, or removing parts.. but they wont take your Jeep unless they load it on a flat bed.

I doubt that it is possible to "erase" your fobs remotely, and not even possible to duplicate them without removing physical parts inside the fob.

But someone with physical access can certainly bypass the Jeep's internal security systems, given the access, equipment, and knowledge. Apparently these crooks failed.
You do not need to physically take apart the key to duplicate it. These crooks can duplicate it as long as they are able to grab a signal of the key. As long as they can do that then they can put the new key in the key fob packet and learn that new key to the vehicle.

Op- sorry that happened to you. As mentioned the bags are kinda the way to go. Will not fully stop these scum bags but will slow them down for sure

Hello All, Someone almost stole my Rubicon right in front of my house a few weeks ago in the early morning hours. I am just getting it back from the dealer this afternoon. The would be thief's surgically removed my drivers side rear window and attempted to steel the signal from my key fobs however they failed. What they did manage to do is erase my key fobs somehow and i could not start my jeep with either of my 2 key fobs. I had to have it towed to the dealership so they could re program the fobs however they where not successful with one of them so it had to be replaced along with my window they removed. I had no idea the attempted theft happened until the following day. I found my removed window across the street from my house in the grass.

Do any of you have any input on anti left ideas for future thief's that are worth installing? I do find the bolt hood lock interesting that uses the jeep key.

Thanks I appreciate any tips you all may have.

John
Update on attempted theft, the computer module of the jeep had to be reprogramed also because the would be thief's scrambled it along with key fobs.

Top Bottom