'09 Soft Top Help

Damunoz32

Howdy everyone! It's been a while since I've visited these parts. Looking for a bit of advice here...

After a few years of consistently folding my top up/down, it appears as though the leading edge of my soft top (I forget what this specific part is called) no longer seals with the top of my windshield. I've been able to manage it for a while but the wind noise has gotten to be quite unbearable. Literally to the point where I can't hold a conversation with people in my backseat. My top has also been leaking from the center of my windshield during heavy rains.

I also noticed that the last time I folded my top down, it was very difficult to get it to seal with the latches. Almost as though the material has shrunk and no longer reached my windshield.

It's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures, but I can almost fit my pinky underneath the soft top/windshield seal. Any help is appreciated!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392755165.606150.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392755181.278592.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392755196.311668.jpg

Not sure if that can be fixed, but since it's an 09, might just be time to replace it. Curious if anyone has a fix though.

Not sure if that can be fixed, but since it's an 09, might just be time to replace it. Curious if anyone has a fix though.

i was thinking the same thing since it is so old.

op- you should be able to find a used top on here easily since a lot of people pull their tops for the trek top.

Thanks for the info fellas, I'll keep a look out around here. Any further info will also be appreciated :)

I have an '07 that had this issue. I fixed it by replacing the soft top header. It cost about $120 for a new metal header. Apparently Jeep made them plastic from '07 to possibly '09, and the plastic would warp and crack causing the gap that you have in your pics.
It takes an hour or so to change out, and there's a write up in the DIY forum on one of these sites (I'll try and find it). You can do it by flipping open the sunrider top and stand on your seats. Just make you line it up evenly on both sides and use plenty of tape so it stays put while you screw it down. Mine shifted on me twice and I couldn't wrap the material over the ends which was a huge p.i.t.a.

Edit - I looked and don't think the write up is on this forum, I'm not sure the etiquette on linking other forums on this site, so either pm me or just google "jk metal header installation" and you'll find a nice write-up.

Last edited:
I have an '07 that had this issue. I fixed it by replacing the soft top header. It cost about $120 for a new metal header. Apparently Jeep made them plastic from '07 to possibly '09, and the plastic would warp and crack causing the gap that you have in your pics.
It takes an hour or so to change out, and there's a write up in the DIY forum on one of these sites (I'll try and find it). You can do it by flipping open the sunrider top and stand on your seats. Just make you line it up evenly on both sides and use plenty of tape so it stays put while you screw it down. Mine shifted on me twice and I couldn't wrap the material over the ends which was a huge p.i.t.a.

Edit - I looked and don't think the write up is on this forum, I'm not sure the etiquette on linking other forums on this site, so either pm me or just google "jk metal header installation" and you'll find a nice write-up.

Thanks a bunch, Wheelz. I appreciate the help! :beer:

Top Bottom